All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:36 pm 
Hi !

My Wiimote (the Nintendo Wii remote controler having motion sensing capability) is now working on my Pegasos !

[edit Apr23rd 07] And now on EFIKA !

For that I'm using Linux Gentoo, a Belkin/Sitecom CN-520 bluetooth USB device and the CWiid Wiimote Linux driver (which compiled fine on my Pegasos).

I was able to use it with the game "Neverball" and it works fine ! I can also control the mouse.
Plugged devices such as the "nuntchunk" and the "classic controler" are recognized but it seems that the buttons control are not fully implemented in the driver.

So I'm now going to try this under Linux Gentoo on my Efika...

That really rocks ! For those not knowing the Wii, and the wiimote this really provides a new and inovative gameplay to the games (Sony has also done the six-axis for PS3 which I tried by the way - a new way of playing is on the go !)

So I'm going to make a small tutorial about this in the Pegasos book & the Efika book for those interested.

Last edited by lugduweb on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:17 pm 

i'm not a gamer but i'm glad u made it :)
nice :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:35 pm 
I've made a very fast tutorial available in french here :
Utilisation d'une wiimote sur Pegasos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:21 pm 

geoffrey

Very nice. You always post fun projects.

magnetic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:44 pm 
thanks ;-)

The funny thing is that I have learn from the driver developer that it had never been tested on a PowerPC before... So my Pegasos is the first one (not being a Wii :-))
I guess that this could also be done with the 6axis from Sony, but I don't have any (and I really like my Wii. Nintendo has understood that the most important in a game is not gfx but gameplay !).

About the Efika, this is going to be delayed as I'm going to holidays... I am currently making a new Gentoo partition trying to use NFS partition to compile Efika stuff directly from my Pegasos. But after 2 trials, the new OS does not boot. There are file errors and I have to check why before going further... so the wiimote trial on Efika is delayed...
But stay tuned...
The wiimote is coming on the Efika in April ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:34 am 
Genesi

That is good Geoffrey. We will look forward to seeing it working with the EFIKA.

R&B 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:08 pm 
Hello everyone !
The Wiimote is now also working on my Efika !

I used the same way I did for the Pegasos (as I have "cloned" my Pegasos's Gentoo distrib on my Efika, that was not difficult however ;-)).

After the Wiimote was recognized as a bluetooth device, I had no problem with wmgui (the test wiimote GUI). Motion sensors, buttons and LEDS are working great (can't test IR of course). I made a few test with apps and system, buttons are working but I have a few issues with motion (strangely this was working very well on my Pegasos, I hope this is not linked to the Efika lower power clock frequency).

Note also that this time the "Nunchunk" and the classic controller (which are external devices that can be plugged on a wiimote) were recognized as well (cheers). But, at the moment there is a very big delay between capture and display. I will try this again on the Pegasos (it was not working at all on it but I'm not sure I did enable the right flags in the GUI). I will also check that with the people who have developped the driver I'm using (In fact I'm the first tester on PowerPC computers so that might explain one or two things).

So, as you see the wiimote is working but a bit more of investigation is needed to make it available for all our Efika games.

My latest idea is to setup a partition with the UAE Amiga emulator and the wiimote driver.
That would make possible to play all the old Amiga games with a new input experience !
That would be fun !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:23 pm 

Sounds cool Geoffrey

Would be great if you took some photos and documented it all. Nice project

magnetic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:13 pm 
Check next version of the Efika book ;-)
Coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:45 pm 

Geoffrey

Right on!

Too bad we couldnt use Bluetooth with MOS as MOS would make a better MAME box.. Still its interesting to see what the performance would be with Linux and efika..

magnetic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:09 pm 
yeah ! you're right.
That might be an interesting question on the MorphOS mailing list, but it seems that a licence must be bought and the price is very very expensive (not talking about the dev work...)

But before bluetooth, it would be cool to have at least a first MorphOS version running on Efika...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:00 am 

There are rumours about Bluetooth support in MorphOS..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:05 am 
That would be really great.

And does the rumours tell if it's a pure MorphOS bluetooth stack or is is something based on bluez (the Linux bluetooth driver) ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:44 am 

ironfist
I find it difficult to believe since talking to C Hodges there is a substantial cost involved in getting the proper license/docs.. iirc

magnetic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
That would be really great.

And does the rumours tell if it's a pure MorphOS bluetooth stack or is is something based on bluez (the Linux bluetooth driver) ?
I don't think porting Linux drivers to other operating systems is really a good idea. You end up pulling so much apart to get it to another framework you may as well have done it from scratch.