All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Did you ask at Fedora too? Because I don't remember any discussion between the developers and PPC is one of our supported architectures.
I'm not sure Fedora as a community-based distribution is going to stump up the quarter of a million dollars to produce the number of boards we want to produce at the price we want to sell them to everyone ($2500 is a lot of money for such a board, but 100 units is very very low compared to how many IBM JSxx blades are sold every month.. which Fedora probably has an easier time justifying developer support for)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:21 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Did you ask at Fedora too? Because I don't remember any discussion between the developers and PPC is one of our supported architectures.
I'm not sure Fedora as a community-based distribution is going to stump up the quarter of a million dollars to produce the number of boards we want to produce at the price we want to sell them to everyone ($2500 is a lot of money for such a board, but 100 units is very very low compared to how many IBM JSxx blades are sold every month.. which Fedora probably has an easier time justifying developer support for)
I have thought you were looking for orders also from individuals, not only organizations. And some developers could be interested. Redhat employees have surely access to IBM hardware but the community members are using PowerMacs, I would tell.
I know that doing a bussiness is hard, so thank you for your effort to create a real PowerMac alternative. I was decided to buy one for the first annouced price $1500.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:44 am 
Genesi

Hi Dan, we wish it was that easy. Having been through the Pegasos experience - from idea through deployment and revision to retirement - it takes many more single buyers than you might imagine to make a business out of hardware - ask Apple. If the business is hardware, there is no business. Think iPod as a means to an end and not an end in itself - and that was a success out of many failures.

What happened to the "commodity PC" market is happening now to the server business. The big players are feeling the pressure. You can see the (big) changes ongoing and coming...

R&B :)

Post subject: Awfull future
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:56 am 

Must we understand that we cannot expect Power processors to be back on the desktop another way than in game console converted to a computer via Linux ?

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:37 am 
Genesi

Sure, with the EFIKA/Open Client. It *is* happening. We would like to tell you more, but cannot yet. This ought to let you know what you need to know for now...

See the Open Client on the left. Google _open client_ to see more detail.

R&B :)