All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:59 pm 

We are pleased to inform you that we have something that seems to work pretty fine, has nice features and is almost as good and simple as you'd expect =)

More information here

http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/ran ... is_in_beta

Testers welcome

Probably I'll cross post it later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:05 am 
Genesi

Hi Luca, we put both posts in one thread.

Hi Folks, it looks like we need some testers, so if you can please follow the ranger's blog post for more instructions.

R&B :)

Post subject: And even newer....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:18 pm 

http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/cell/wi ... entooOnPS3

Posted here as well. Things are coming along quite nicely!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:52 am 

Gentoo LiveCd for PPC64 ? sounds good !
I suppose it's also great news for the OSW !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:41 pm 

In the case of what gentoo has it falls into a few catagories that break of model of what people might think when they think gentoo. (compile compile compile)

First the livecd is fully usable system. Boot go, run X, run firefox, run xchat.

The installcd is just that, BUT we have a full stage4 which in gentoo terms means that end user doesn't have to rebuild a thing. Take go, setup an item here and there, and there you go.

Further we nearly have fully setup a GRP server so in the future as packages are updated, you can just pull down the binaries and not have to build a thing.

Gentoo already builds all the packages optimized specifically for the processor and intend to keep up with all optimizations for cell as technologies improves. *(that means we use -mtune and -mcpu right now .. we'll take advantage of more as it shows up!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:09 pm 

Nice work guys. I'll give this a try sometime soon and post how this goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:09 pm 

The LiveCD is great, and I'm using it to do the Gentoo install to the hard drive. The only thing that caused problems in my situation was that the wireless device was not recognized, so I needed to run cable through my house into my living room :D. Not a big problem, but it would be cool for the LiveCD to recognize all hardware on the PS3 by default. Thanks for your work on this project. I'm new to Gentoo but so far I like what I see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:33 pm 

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no kernel support for the PS3's wifi adaptor. Until such a driver exists, there's no way for the Gentoo LiveCD to use it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:39 pm 

Quote:
Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no kernel support for the PS3's wifi adaptor. Until such a driver exists, there's no way for the Gentoo LiveCD to use it. :)
:? Thanks for the heads up... I had no idea the wireless device wasn't supported under Linux. That would cause major problems with including it on the LiveCD (and for my home network plans).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:46 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
:? Thanks for the heads up... I had no idea the wireless device wasn't supported under Linux. That would cause major problems with including it on the LiveCD (and for my home network plans).
USB wireless sticks (assuming a linux driver exists for the chip) work fine apparently, its assumed that one day a new firmware will make the virtual internal wireless available so heres hopeing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:45 am 

Well, I better try this out. Give my PS3 something to do while I wait for the Q1 2k8 game titles to emerge

also of interest maybe?

http://www.mc.com/mediacenter/pressrele ... x?id=10454

http://www.power.org/devcon/07

LOL the instructions say to get otheros.bld from Sony and Sony instructions say to get it from OtherOS' supplier/creator.