All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: QNX Support
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:53 am 
Genesi

Have a look:

http://www.genesippc.com/press.php?date=20061124

http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2006/11/takeover.html -- make sure you read the very end...;-)

R&B 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:59 am 
Genesi

Really cool.

I've been using QNX in my Real Time OS course at the university for years already. Would be nice to have QNX running on EFIKA in the future, then maybe we can use these as cheap experimentation boards for our students.

Best regards,
Johan

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:47 am 
Genesi

Hi Johan, you mean like this:

What do you think? What could we do to supplement what you already have going on the QNX, or the EFIKA, or a system you might use in the course?

R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:04 am 
Genesi

Hi.

What I'm trying to do here at the University is 'unify' Operating Systems, Computer Architecture and Real Time Operating Systems courses as much as possible. In the past, these were too far apart, yet in reality complement each other.

The idea is to build up a lab where different computer architectures and operating systems can be 'dissected'. I'm currently trying to get some SUN hardware (T1000 - really cool thing for multithreading), Power, etc. architectures into the mix.
Also, my assembly part of the course has been focussing on MIPS (Due to there being a nice emulator for this in the form of SPIM). 68K architecture is also very nice.

The problem, as usual in the education sphere is funding. It is difficult to convince some of my collegues that the SUN hardware for instance would be a good investment. Let alone Power, as the majority of the guys here believe it died when Apple switched. The standard reply I get from management is that the entire world is running on Intel and AMD, so that is where we should focus on. I'm of the opinion however that our students have to have at least a basic understanding of different ways of doing things, different concepts, different architectures.

Coming to QNX, I'm still using a somewhat older version of it (which was available for free at some point). That way I don't have to deal with management for getting me a licence for more modern versions, I wouldn't get it anyway. At the same time I'm using uC/OS-II on microcontrollers, as this OS is easier to teach basic concepts in. (And the fact that it runs on microcontrollers means I don't have to find any PC's to re-install with QNX).

This is where EFIKA would fit in very nicely. It's not a PC and it's not a microcontroller (and be used in automotive industry, just as QNX). It would provide (part of) the computer architecture/(Real Time) Operating Systems Lab. It would get students the opportunity to see a different architecture in action, and at the same time provide a platform for a Real Time Operating Systems course.

Best regards,
Johan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:50 pm 
Genesi

Hi Johan, we think we could help you with this. We should also be able to get you a T1000. Could you send us a detailed email of what you would like to do. We should be able to get you a one seat license for QNX, as well as EFIKAs. Let's get organized around a whole package and we will see if we can create a model around this situation we can apply to other Universities. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:49 pm 

Quote:
Hi Johan, we think we could help you with this. We should also be able to get you a T1000. Could you send us a detailed email of what you would like to do. We should be able to get you a one seat license for QNX, as well as EFIKAs. Let's get organized around a whole package and we will see if we can create a model around this situation we can apply to other Universities. Thanks!

bill as far as i know, Dan gives free QNX seats for education/Uni use/seats, just give his mobile a ring in canadian timezone and he might be able to sort it.

im not sure if my number for him is current as iv not had need to use it in some time, but you have it too i beleave?.

Last edited by popper on Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:52 pm 
Genesi

Thanks, we actually have Dan's old mobile, but we already spoke with Linda and she is on it.

R&B 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:54 am 
Genesi

Hi.

Thanks for the effort and your time in this!
I asked a representative of some company who were distributing QNX in Europe a year or two ago if there were any free licences available for education. I never heard anything from them again...

Thank you!

Best regards,
Johan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:08 am 
Genesi

You have an email in your inbox and as you can see the QNX folks are *very* responsive and have a great program in place!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:10 pm 

Quote:
Hi.

What I'm trying to do here at the University is 'unify' Operating Systems, Computer Architecture and Real Time Operating Systems courses as much as possible. In the past, these were too far apart, yet in reality complement each other.

The idea is to build up a lab where different computer architectures and operating systems can be 'dissected'. I'm currently trying to get some SUN hardware (T1000 - really cool thing for multithreading), Power, etc. architectures into the mix.
Also, my assembly part of the course has been focussing on MIPS (Due to there being a nice emulator for this in the form of SPIM). 68K architecture is also very nice.

The problem, as usual in the education sphere is funding. It is difficult to convince some of my collegues that the SUN hardware for instance would be a good investment. Let alone Power, as the majority of the guys here believe it died when Apple switched. The standard reply I get from management is that the entire world is running on Intel and AMD, so that is where we should focus on. I'm of the opinion however that our students have to have at least a basic understanding of different ways of doing things, different concepts, different architectures.

Johan
This is what I tried to explain to my teachers and the school headmaster while in upper primary school. (7th - 9th grade) During that time, the whole schools computer systems were completely dependent upon voluntary student administration, maintenance and also some times, we were responsible for building the network in the school, i.e. we drilled the holes, pulled the cables and made the RJ45 connectors at the end of the lines.

The thing is, we were good. Damn good. So good that we saved the school, and the local municipality a huge amount of money. In the end however, things took a somewhat dramatic turn when a city architect responsible for the school's renovation happened to walk by when I was drilling a hole into a brick wall to pull FTP line into a new class room. Nevertheless _nothing_ was done to address the problem of maintaining and administrating a fleet of about 80 Windows PC's, which were on 24/7, of course and the related user database of around 350 students in the servers, which we refused to run with windows, naturally. When the school got a lot of money to renew it's computer system's we, me and the other voluntary little sysadmins tried to market the idea of buying the required Sun servers, I can't remember what the requirements then were, and the needed 80 Sun Ray thin-clients to replace the old system so the workload involved in the system's maintenance and administration would be minimized. We were faced with the same counter arguments and the school bought a boat load of crappy beige boxes it got at a low price. Naturally we were replacing crappy fans, burned out PSU's and CPUs all day long and eventually got tired of it all stopped working for no money.

Not suprisingly the whole system broke down. After which the other student's asked why wasn't I spending all my spare time in the "server room". Well, the look on their faces was worth it for all the shouting on in the hallways :)

So, could you please market your idea to the school and municipal administration of Oulu? These people need a damn reality check, and fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:12 am 
Genesi

Terve Jarto.

The first step could be this:
http://www.puv.fi/en/events/iwes6/

I will be holding a talk there, and also there will be ample time for discussing these kinds of issues.

The problem is that I'm just a lecturer here. I have barely anything to say in my own administration, let alone the one from Oulu :-)
I know what it feels to volunteer for those kinds of activities without getting the recognition. We did the same to get the RoboCup project going (http://robotics.puv.fi).

I think the key is to hang in there and keep pushing. I've been doing that for the past 5 years now on various topics, and am only now seeing the first results (for which I'm very happy - I almost gave up). It's even harder if you're a student I can imagine...

Best regards,
Johan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:14 am 

I guess, our University was lucky. For a very long time at our faculty, there was an often changing guy responsible for the informatics infrastructure of the faculty, but in practice, there were 5-10 students doing most of the work. As computers became a common place even here in Hungary, interest from students faded away, they just took it for granted that it works. Other faculties were not so lucky, informatics was very fractured, many broken networks with incompatible devices, many little badly managed servers.

Then a few years ago, when I slowly started to depart from the University, a wonder happened: a few PhD students working in different parts of the University, ranging from GIS, through mechanics to biotechnology, started to take over Central Informatics. So practically it is now lead by the guys who made wonders earlier in small scale at their own department. In a year the whole university got proper cabling, Cisco switches replaced everywhere the always failing desktop switches, home built PCs were thrown out of the server room and replaced by Sun & IBM, using EMC storage, etc.

Summary: there are places, where people know, that there are no alternatives in the PC world to these real machines :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:52 am 

Quote:
Terve Jarto.
I think the key is to hang in there and keep pushing. I've been doing that for the past 5 years now on various topics, and am only now seeing the first results (for which I'm very happy - I almost gave up). It's even harder if you're a student I can imagine...
Well, I've already given up. I guess that's me being weak. I'm not studying atm. due to, well I'd rather not go into what but serious, mental health issues. I've not yet even graduated from 'High school' or 'Upper secondary school'. This wouldn't be a problem if I wanted to work in the tech industry, there are other paths to it than a University degree. However due to the animosity I today feel towards the tech industry and people who are responsible for making the decisions on how to implement things, I've decided I'm not going to even try. The very idea feels repulsive.

I'm aspiring towards medical school, so I guess I'll be more of a user than a developer. However I do like to do this stuff as a hobby and if it's ever up to me, well. I know that a PC is just a PC, a damn personal computer. It's not designed for a multiuser environment.

I would hope that in the future the PC will be strictly bound to the home market and the office etc. solutions done with thin-clients while people who need processing power at their fingertips are sitting in front of proper workstations. And in an ideal world, Microsoft wouldn't be in any of them ;)