All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:30 am 
Hi !

I'm getting a bit lost with all ATI drivers & tools, xorg & other stuff...
There are several ATI drivers packages. I don't know which is the good one to enable 3D on my system :

=> x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati "Ati precompiled drivers for r350, r300, r250 and r200 chipsets"
=> media-video/ati-gatos "ATI Multimedia-capable drivers for Xorg"
=> x11-drivers/ati-drivers "Ati precompiled drivers for r350, r300, r250 and r200 chipsets"
=> x11-apps/ati-drivers-extra "Ati precompiled drivers extra application"

Well... at the moment, I do not have any 3D and it seems that I'm using xf86-video-ati-6.6.1, and my xorg.conf seems correct to me. So I would like to install the good drivers but I'm not sure how to do it. And what about the gatos one ?

"glxinfo|grep renderer" gives me errors message :
Code:
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual
So I've installed xorg7.1 (which was not installed at all unless I was having a GNOME working system) and I'm now trying to install "ati-drivers 8.28.8"... But I'm really not sure of what I'm doing...
My system is still working... But still no 3D.
Could someone help me on this ?
I'm really getting lost with was is working with what and how... There are so many obsolete tutorials on various systems that I don't know which one to follow for PegasosPPC.

Note :
- My Gfx card is a RADEON 8500 :
Code:
0001:01:08.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R200 QL [Radeon 8500 LE]
- I use kernel 2.6.15 (because of ivtv)

My xorg.conf Device section is the following :
Code:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
### Available Driver options:
Option "EnablePageFlip" "true" # Increases performance
#Option "SWcursor" "false" # Use Software Cursor
#Option "NoAccel" "false" # Disable Hardware Acc$ #Option "AGPMode" "1" # Set AGP data transfe$ #Option "AGPFastWrite" "false" # Use AGP Fast Write, D$ #Option "RenderAccel" "true" # Hardware acceleration
#Option "DCCMode" "false" # Use querried modes f$ #Option "MonitorLayout" "TMDS" # Enable this for Apple$ ### See "man radeon" for additional options
Option "BusType" "PCI"
Driver "radeon"
# BusID "PCI:1:8:0"
EndSection

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:43 pm 
OK.. I'm really unable to enable 3D.
I don't know what's wrong. I can't make work the both drivers.

With my current config (x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.6.1), glx is not working because it's not found :

grep -e EE -e WW /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Code:
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/encodings/".
(WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/util/".
(WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic/".
(WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/default/".
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module glx
(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)
(WW) ****INVALID IO ALLOCATION**** b: 0xf8001000 e: 0xf80010ff correcting
(EE) end of block range 0xf7ffffff < begin 0xf8000000
(WW) RADEON(0): Failed to detect secondary monitor, MergedFB/Clone mode disabled
(WW) RADEON(0): config file hsync range 30-70kHz not within DDC hsync ranges.
(WW) RADEON(0): config file vrefresh range 50-160Hz not within DDC vrefresh ranges.
(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled
Then, I can't install the other drivers (x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8-28-8)
I first have a warning at the end of emerge.
Code:
* You don't have MTRR support enabled, the direct rendering
* will not work.
Looking into Google, I found a page telling to enable this option in the kernel :
Processor and Features --->
[*] MTRR (Memory Type Range Register) support
But I did not find a way to enable that feature in my current kernel 2.6.15 :-(. It does not seem to be there...
Then the compilation fails on :
* DRM module not built
>>> Source compiled.
>>> Test phase [not enabled]: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.28.8

>>> Install ati-drivers-8.28.8 into /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.28.8/image/ category x11-drivers
* Installing fglrx module
install: cannot stat `fglrx.ko': No such file or directory

!!! ERROR: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.28.8 failed.

So... I guess I'm really struck. I don't remember having such problems with my previous install and RADEON 9250 :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:13 am 

You need to do a few things. First, add radeon to your VIDEO_CARDS variable in your make.conf. This will add support for radeon cards in X.org. (You can add fbdev as well as a backup). Also, add dri as a use flag (this is required for 3D support). Next, emerge xf86-video-ati and mesa (even if you've already built them). You should now have the proper drivers for radeon with your config as you've pasted it. The ati-driver ones are really the x86 binary drivers. You don't want those. :) Gatos is a special driver for using the TV capabilities of a video card, also not what you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:58 am 
Quote:
You need to do a few things. First, add radeon to your VIDEO_CARDS variable in your make.conf. This will add support for radeon cards in X.org. (You can add fbdev as well as a backup). Also, add dri as a use flag (this is required for 3D support). Next, emerge xf86-video-ati and mesa (even if you've already built them). You should now have the proper drivers for radeon with your config as you've pasted it. The ati-driver ones are really the x86 binary drivers. You don't want those. :) Gatos is a special driver for using the TV capabilities of a video card, also not what you need.
Hi !
My current VIDEO_CARDS flags are :
VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev radeon fglrx vesa"
The "dri" use flag is enabled by default (that's what profuse tells me anyway).
I'm going to re-emerge just in case :-( [Strange but when you emerge ati-drivers, xemacs is emerged too)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:27 am 
I've re-emerged all... And now it works.
Very stange as I did not change any USE flag or VIDEO settings in my make.conf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:57 pm 

You probably didn't have them set when you built it the first time. You should use the --newuse flag with emerge to have it rebuild packages that aren't in sync with your global make.conf settings.

Glad you got it working. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:58 pm 
Thank you for your help ;-)