All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Pegasos ISA mappings
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:04 am 

Hello everyone!

I'd like to ask someone who knows about base address of mapped ISA memory in Pegasos-II.
I am working on BootX MacOS X bootloader and i need to switch the video display to graphical mode. 256 colours is the minimum but 320x200 will be enough for early debugging console so i will use legacy VGA mode since this will work on all video cards.
In the firmware the card is placed in 80x25 16cols text mode. Now i need to access ISA I/O ports (i know the base, it's 0xF8000000) and ISA-mapped framebuffer (i've tried to access the video memory using address obtained from PCI config but it's problematic and card-specific).
I've tried to look at u-boot source code and see how it's done in AmigaOne. There is a line there:

#define VIDEO_BASE (unsigned char *)0xFD0B8000

This means that ISA memory base in A1 is 0xFD000000. I've tried the same but it doesn't work, looks like Marvell host bridge uses another address. What address is it?

Post subject: Found...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:02 am 

It's a pity that the information is so top-secret. Okay, let's improve this. 0xF9000000 is the base address of ISA memory, i've found it using trial and error method.
So the text mode video buffer is placed at 0xF90B8000.

Post subject: Re: Found...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:56 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
It's a pity that the information is so top-secret. Okay, let's improve this. 0xF9000000 is the base address of ISA memory, i've found it using trial and error method.
So the text mode video buffer is placed at 0xF90B8000.
Do you have access to the Open Firmware client interface from your loader?

We can provide you with a (non-spec!) linear framebuffer pretty easily..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:55 pm 

Of course i have an access to the client interface. But AFAIK v1.2 doesn't support graphics modes at all. I know about v1.3, but... Where is it?
Or may be i don't know something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:35 am 

Sonic
1.2 OF supports graphics, i've seen it myself.

magnetic

bplan had a Freescale splash boot logo working.. also with tones!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:32 pm 

Well, it's good. But - how?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:29 am 

Sonic

Its all FORTH programming. Check out a manual on FORTH and try some things out!

:)

magnetic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:01 am 
Genesi

Matt posted this the other day to the NetBSD mailing list:
Quote:
...the ISA bus in the Pegasos is not really an ISA bus. There is no ISA bus, no ISA slots and no ISA memory. It's actually a bunch of PCI-connected LPC devices inside the southbridge, and it is offset from the PCI bus (and handled by the PCI controller in the northbridge as a PCI IO space, there is no memory there)

Please read the spec, and the above, and realise that the "isa" bus address space is NOT mapped through the bridge.
This information helped push the NetBSD port a bit farther. If you want to follow the discussion try one of these threads: port-ofppc@NetBSD.org, port-powerpc@NetBSD.org, netbsd-ports@NetBSD.org

R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:47 am 

Take a look at http://mail-index.netbsd.org/ if you want to browse these lists. Even if it's not my favorite FreeBSD, I got really excited :-)

CzP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:54 pm 

2 bbrv: well, may be i use wrong term, it just was called "ISA memory" in other projects, like u-boot. I meant a portion of space which emulates real-mode PC memory map. In this region text mode framebuffer, video BIOS image, etc are located. I know that ISA bus in Pegasos is in fact emulated, it exists only inside the southbridge.
2 Magnetic: FORTH is not BASIC, there are no things like "SCREENMODE 2" in it.
2 Neko: Well, where's the answer?
2 others: i won't browse BSD mailing lists since i already have all needed information. In fact my direct HW controlling routines are already written, they just need testing. Of course using OF would be more system friendly, but until Neko says something clear i will use current approach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:52 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
2 bbrv: well, may be i use wrong term, it just was called "ISA memory" in other projects, like u-boot. I meant a portion of space which emulates real-mode PC memory map.
This DOES NOT EXIST.
Quote:
In this region text mode framebuffer, video BIOS image, etc are located. I know that ISA bus in Pegasos is in fact emulated, it exists only inside the southbridge.
It isn't emulated, it is a set of mapped PCI devices :)
Quote:
Mail me privately. Just for your personal debugging purposes, it does not need to be public information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:45 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
In this region text mode framebuffer, video BIOS image, etc are located. I know that ISA bus in Pegasos is in fact emulated, it exists only inside the southbridge.
It isn't emulated, it is a set of mapped PCI devices :)

I know, this doesn't change the things, the thing acts in the same way as legacy basic ISA. I just call it all wrong since there's no documentation. It's a pity that the machine comes with no documentation about the hardware needed for OS developers/porters.
Quote:
Mail me privately. Just for your personal debugging purposes, it does not need to be public information.
Ok, what's the email?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:58 pm 

Just look at the e-mail icon in Neko's post :-)
CzP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:59 am 

Already done :)