All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: CPU temperature
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:02 am 

Hi,

is there a way to find out the temperature of the CPU? I'd like to change the fan on the PegasosII by a quite big passive one, but I won't want to damage my system, so I'd like to be able to monitor the cpu temperature before.

Regards,
Sven

Post subject: Re: CPU temperature
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:27 am 

Sven,
Quote:

is there a way to find out the temperature of the CPU? I'd like to change
the fan on the PegasosII by a quite big passive one, but I won't
want to damage my system, so I'd like to be able to monitor the cpu
temperature before.

Regards,
Sven
There are several temperature monitor solutions that fit in a 5 1/4"
drive bay. Some of them are very nice and can control fans. Just
check any website or store that sells case modding goodies.

--Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:43 am 

Well, I think there are sensors built near to the CPU (like in any other machine) so I just want to get the values that they report, not building in some ugly fan-control-piece-of-unneccessary-hardware. (lmsensors and i2c are some keywords to this topic)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:04 pm 

Sven,
Quote:
Well, I think there are sensors built near to the CPU (like in any other machine)
so I just want to get the values that they report, not building in some ugly
fan-control-piece-of-unneccessary-hardware. (lmsensors and i2c are some keywords to this topic)
The sensor inside the G4 does not work properly.

--Aaron

Post subject: lm sensors
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:03 am 

Hi Sven

Try This forum;
http://linux.pegasosppc.com/index.php?m ... forum_id=1

nels

Post subject: Re: lm sensors
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:34 am 

Quote:
The PLC was the old pegasos support forum, we are moving away from it in favor of these forums here, so i don't really follow what you wanted to tell me about this.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:24 am 

Sorry about the confusion Sven Luther, herzi signed his post Sven and I was pointing to the forum for herzi

nels

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:35 am 

I just did this for my Peg2 8)

First temp is the G4 heatsink and second is ambient temp near two HD's.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:05 am 

Quote:
Hi,

is there a way to find out the temperature of the CPU? I'd like to change the fan on the PegasosII by a quite big passive one, but I won't want to damage my system, so I'd like to be able to monitor the cpu temperature before.

Regards,
Sven
Saddly not.

There is a motherboard sensor accessible through the via southbridge, but it may need some kernel work. The G4 powerpc used has a broken TAU unit (as do all the G4 processors), while the G3 have a working unit, altough it may need calibration :
Quote:
$ more /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
cpu : 745/755
temperature : 27-29 C (uncalibrated)
clock : 601MHz
revision : 51.17 (pvr 0008 3311)
bogomips : 1199.30
machine : CHRP Pegasos
There may be place for a sensor chip on the cpu module on a future chip, but this would need an additional cpu slot line, which we don't think we have.

Furthermore, the 7447A and 7448 cpus have a temperature sensor, which needs some external logic, but again using that will need some small redesign of the board as i understand.

So, your best bet is to use an external solution. The CPU is supposed to dissipate 8-12 W, and you will notice unstability and crashiness well before you burn the CPU, even if you will be able to do that.

So i recomend an external temperature sensor like Aaron suggested.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:28 pm 

Quote:
I just recognized that the CPU fan in my Pegasos already stopped working... I guess, it is now off for a week or so, but nothing broke (beside quite high temperature inside the cover). It seems I have to replace it, after only three months of 24/7 running! On the other hand, that is something I really call "cool computing" :-D

With some sensors I probably would have notified it earlier. It was just a coincidence that I had the cover opened and the system running.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:27 am 

Oh.... Just read this thread and looked into my pegasos. And indeed, the cpu fan stopped working... Bad, bad. The cpucard was really hot. I took the fan itself off the cooler, hoping the air from the power supply can now cool the cpu better. But I will immediatly have a look after some new, big heat sink.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:13 pm 

Quote:
I just recognized that the CPU fan in my Pegasos already stopped working... I guess, it is now off for a week or so, but nothing broke (beside quite high temperature inside the cover).
Well this is funny, the exact same thing happened to me. Appears the fan in the CPU card aint very good. The weird thing is that the system ran just fine, no problems whatsoever. I have absolutely no idea on how long it was disconnected.

I replaced the whole heatsink solution with a Zalman mainboard heatsink and let it be there in itself without cooling, but got worried and installed a huge 120mm fan over everything. So far no problems, the system appears to be little noisier than before, but nothing irritating yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:14 am 

I bought this northbridge cooler and removed its fan. Then I mounted it on the G4 processor.

It's running stable since several months (lets see if it passes this summer). I decided to remove the cooler's fan as the really big cooler body is directly in the airflow of the power supply's fan.