All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: make LEDs blink
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:24 am 

Hello everyone.

I am a proud smartbook owner. Sometimes (especially at work), I keep my smartbook on my desk, on but with the lid closed. I was thinking that it would be awesome if the smartbook could warn me of new mail with, say, a flashing led.

I wrote a simple bash script to check for mail (writing 'new messages' in a file when the mailbox is not empty), but I don't know wheter it is possible to make one of the LEDs blink on such event.

I started by typing
Code:
find /sys/ -name 'led*'
but quickly got lost. Can some dev tell me what's the file to check/modify for making a LED blink?
Thanks!

edit: I am talking about the 'external' LEDS (i.e. the power-on one and the other one on the left hand side with a small picture of a mail on it)

Post subject: Re: make LEDs blink
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:47 am 

Code:
root@efikamx:/sys/bus/platform/drivers/leds-gpio/leds-gpio/leds/led:alarm# echo "255" > brightness
^-- that seems to do the trick. But any other info is appreciated :)

Post subject: Re: make LEDs blink
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Code:
root@efikamx:/sys/bus/platform/drivers/leds-gpio/leds-gpio/leds/led:alarm# echo "255" > brightness
^-- that seems to do the trick. But any other info is appreciated :)
That is exactly how to do it. led:alarm and led:capslock are the only LEDs in the system - you CAN hijack the capslock LED to do whatever you like (hint - it's the trigger property). Either you give it default-on (which turns it into an on-off switch) or some built-in trigger (mmc0 or ide-disk or something) and it will turn into that. Of course, then you can't tell if capslock is on or not :)