All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:49 pm 

Did anyone ever manage to get 2D acceleration working at all? Not had any success here -- on the first page of this thread there's a suggestion to put this in /etc/modules;

/etc/modules
Code:
# sound driver
snd-soc-imx-3stack-sgtl5000

# needed for wifi to work
efikasb_rfkill

# framebuffer
mx5fb

# gpu
#gpu
The mx5fb seems to be doing nothing at all however. If I do this manually (e.g. modprobe) I get this;
Code:
$ modprobe mx5fb
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod.c: 505 kmod_lookup_alias_from_builtin_file: could not open builtin file '/lib/modules/2.6.31.14.27-efikamx/modules.builtin.bin'
FATAL: Module mx5fb not found.
And indeed, modules.builtin.bin dosen't exist. Also looking through other kernel/image files this is missing!

Also playing videos with VLC is sloooow x.x .

ljones

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:30 am 
Genesi

Hi.

"Also playing videos with VLC is sloooow x.x ."

That's because VLC is not using GStreamer. If you want hardware accelerated video playback where the mx51 VPU does the decoding, you have to use something based on GStreamer (like Totem).

Johan.

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:22 pm 

Quote:
Did anyone ever manage to get 2D acceleration working at all? Not had any success here -- on the first page of this thread there's a suggestion to put this in /etc/modules;

/etc/modules
Code:
# sound driver
snd-soc-imx-3stack-sgtl5000

# needed for wifi to work
efikasb_rfkill

# framebuffer
mx5fb

# gpu
#gpu
The mx5fb seems to be doing nothing at all however. If I do this manually (e.g. modprobe) I get this;
Code:
$ modprobe mx5fb
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod.c: 505 kmod_lookup_alias_from_builtin_file: could not open builtin file '/lib/modules/2.6.31.14.27-efikamx/modules.builtin.bin'
FATAL: Module mx5fb not found.
And indeed, modules.builtin.bin dosen't exist. Also looking through other kernel/image files this is missing!

Also playing videos with VLC is sloooow x.x .

ljones
Things have changed a bit since this thread was first posted. take a look at this wiki page instead.
http://library.powerdeveloper.net/index.php/Debian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:35 pm 

Quote:
That's because VLC is not using GStreamer. If you want hardware accelerated video playback where the mx51 VPU does the decoding, you have to use something based on GStreamer (like Totem).
Intresting :) I tried that, and while it did play videos better the system became so slow as to be unsable as totem pulls in a *lot* of gnome dependencies. Windows unfreshed, long loading times and at one point the whole system locked up because it was being slowed down so much.

I also tried "parole" which is XFCE's video player and uses gstreamer. Though it won't play any videos, just crashed with a "failed to create output image buffer" message.
Quote:
Things have changed a bit since this thread was first posted. take a look at this wiki page instead.
http://library.powerdeveloper.net/index.php/Debian
Thanks for that :) I did not see that before. Video playback was still slow after following the instructions on that page though. Did some more digging and found this thread - ( http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/vi ... f=7&t=2293 ) which makes a suggestion to use an xorg.conf file (and imx-essential) while it makes a small improvement on video playback (so long as you're not doing anything else!) though it ruins audio output though weirdly only on VLC , which becomes distorted (I also tried mplayer which was unaffected).

ljones

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:22 am 
Genesi

Hi.

My advice, try with the official Maverick image. That should give you an idea of the performance you should be getting. Also, try running the GStreamer based player (Totem preferably) from the console and check for anything 'VPU' related.

Johan.

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:07 pm 

Hi,

I Downloaded the image and flashed it (dd) on sdcard.
Then booted my smartbook from it and downloaded deboostrap parted pv
After I ran ./install-armhf.sh ssd /dev/sda
Everything seemed to work ok, but suddenly I got:

...running debootstrap
I:Retrieving InRelease
E:Invalid Release file, no valid components
error on debootstrap, exiting!

I tried with different debian mirrors ... hu, us, de,it but no luck.

..probably I made some mistake...some help?

thank you
stan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:01 pm 

i Installed it today on a TO2 efika mx, via the livesd (armhf-exp.img.xz from a link in a post) then applied the explanation to start the script (i had to do an apt-get update because the parted package doesn't seem to exist).

ANd i finally have a working localized (french 'dans le texte') debian unstable.
Usb does not work if i suspend the restart, but it is not an issue for me.

Thanks a lot it was finally easier than i thought.
I'll give another try for bodhi on my other efika.