All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Another black screen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:50 am 

Hi,

Firsly it is worth noting that I am not a Linux expert... in an earlier life I did a lot of development for PowerPC with VxWorks and ThreadX RTOS... I have just returned to a bit of hands on to build a demo system...

So: I have just purchased the Efika MX... and at first was pleased (surprised) when out of the box the screen came up and I configured machine details [time zone etc...] However, once the machine proceeded past this phase of boot up it black screened.

I have now read numerous posts about black screening...

i) Some of them go back to 2010/2011 - and I am surprised that the problem is still happening. I have tried quite a few different monitors and TV's [with HDMI input]. [Note: for most monitors I am using a HDMI to DVI connector]
Q - Is there any updated OS revision / new drivers that can be installed to rectify this problem?

ii) The screen worked fine during configuration phase, albeit not with the greatest resolution - i guess with basic HDMI port drivers. it would seem that once the full suite of HDMI drivers are installed the problems occur.
Q - Is it a back up solution to disable the installation of these drivers and to run with those used during boot phase?

iii) I can login to the Efika via the serial port so it is coming up OK without the screen working... can I make any changes once booted [as temporary solution] to enable my monitor?

iv) Any other thoughts on this subject are welcome please?

I really like the packaging and the spec of this device - and for the prototype I am producing was really hoping for as close to an OOTB experience as poss - just wanted to write the application layer and assumed such an established device would be perfect! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:01 am 
Genesi

Hi.

Can you do the following:

- Post the output of the 'date' command
- post the output of 'dmesg' command

Then, try re-imaging your system with one of the images here:

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/platforms/efikamx/linux

For example, the maverick-20111010.img.xz (2011-10-09, 552 MB, XZ Archive)

You can just uncompress this image and then use the 'dd' command to write it to an SD card. (e.g., dd if=maverick-20111010.img of=/dev/mmcblk0). The resulting SD card will boot automatically in the Efika.

Johan.

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject: Some success!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:12 am 

Hello,

Thanks for your prompt response... When we used the Date command it showed that the date had not been set properly... from memory it was 1970!!!

I have no idea why, but as soon as we set the Date correctly, the system booted successfully and Dell monitor came up - in fact two different Dell monitors were both fine.

Note: until the date was set I also had to change my password every time we used a 'sudo' command. This stopped as soon as the Date was corrected!!!

I would say the system still only boots successfully 2 out of 3 times - haven't even thought about exploring that particular problem. As this is just a demo / prototype system will proceed with what I have for now.

So thanks again - will post again if I hit further problems.

Regards,

Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:26 pm 
Genesi

Hi.
Quote:
the system still only boots successfully 2 out of 3 times
Probably this bug:

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/vi ... php?t=2201

Johan

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject: Re: Another black screen
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:10 am 

thanks a lot for the link.Even i have the same booting problem.
gastric bypass surgery