All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:42 pm 

Sometimes I will be somewhere and can't connect to the local wifi internet using wicd on my Genesi Efika smartbook with the stock Gnome desktop that comes with the smartbook. At home I have no problem connecting wirelessly and on the road I can connect if I boot Bodhi Linux from the SD card. I will get a message saying wrong password when I know for sure it is the right password. This makes me think it has something to do with the keyring login, etc. The keyring login does pop up at home, I enter the password and the wifi works. I have searched all over for an answer but can't find one. Any idea or solution would be appreciated. Thanks

Post subject: wifi
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:53 pm 

My SmartBook has never liked secure WEP, but works fine on secure WPA. Unsecured both work fine. Do you know if the hotspot is WEP or WPA?

Science, n. Investigation of natural phenomena.
Engineering, n. Domestication of natural phenomena.
Technology, n. Domesticated natural phenomena.

--

\"It is essential for automatic computation that, instead of containing every single instruction necessary to carry out the program, the coded program include methods for generating instructions which are needed to carry out the program. ... One measure of the extent to which an automatic digital computer is used effectively is given by the ratio of the number of instructions formed in the machine to that of the instructions inserted into the machine initially.\" Mathematical Machines Volume I Digital Computers ©1961 Francis J. Murray

If so, then why is this ratio zero on most modern computer software?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:19 pm 

All connections were wpa. I wonder if I need to bring up the keyring somehow when I am connecting to a new wifi. If so, I need to know how. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:46 am 
Genesi

You might want to try some versions of compat-wireless, I personally like the 2012-02-03 release. There is one minor change where you basically clean out compat_atomic64.c (I think it's it's name, I'm going off memory) because we provide what it tries to already in our kernel.