All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:09 am 

My Debian image is largely functional, I'd just like to take care of shoring up some final little details on it.

First, how does the Smartbook handle back light adjustments? The normal screen dim command that works across most all x86 device doesn't seem to work on the Genesi (not uncommon on ARM devices). Is there a certain way I can adjust the back light?

Second - the normal volume up/volume down work fine - but volume mute key does not. Any suggestions for this one?

Finally, are any special packages needed to get suspend functionality working?

Thanks!
~Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
My Debian image is largely functional, I'd just like to take care of shoring up some final little details on it.

First, how does the Smartbook handle back light adjustments? The normal screen dim command that works across most all x86 device doesn't seem to work on the Genesi (not uncommon on ARM devices). Is there a certain way I can adjust the back light?
What "command" are you trying to use?

The kernel has keyboard input handlers for the screen brightness keys. They go through and the screen dims or brightens automatically. If you are NOT using the kernel from http://github.com/genesi/linux-legacy then you will have to add a patch;

https://github.com/genesi/linux-legacy/ ... 279971d2f8

If you want to do any other way, the real only other way is using the sysfs entry which is IIRC under /sys/class/backlight where it is on x86 too.

Volume mute has been tested to work fine. To get suspend to support properly you don't need anything but you may want to disable "hibernate" support which is implemented as a PolicyKit rule;

https://github.com/genesi/imx-settings/ ... e07a177e76

Since I know you're not using our kernel (where the keys work fine), I would ask what kernel you are using..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:43 pm 

Using a kernel built from the sources you linked to :-/

~Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:35 pm 
Genesi

Hi Jeff,
Quote:
Did you use the EfikaMX defconfig provided in arch/arm/configs in the kernel repo?

Johan.

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:00 am 

Quote:

~Jeff
I'm still running 2.6.31.14.25 on my debian/armhf smartbook and I can use backlight/volume controls with no problem, I think you probably used the wrong config when building the kernel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:26 pm 

Sorry I didn't comment back soon - the forums never sent me a message telling me there where new replies!

Anywho, I'll have to take a stab at building the kernel myself again this week or the next. Was never able to get it to build properly on my system (which is odd cause my Touchpad kernel builds right up).

The current kernel/uImage I'm using came from here - http://dev.gentoo.org/~steev/files/2.6. ... mx.tar.bz2

Someone in Debian ARM provided it for me and it was mostly functional so I just went with it to start.

~Jeff