All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:28 am 

I've just received a Smartbook, and enjoyed spending the weekend finding my way around. As someone who stopped using Linux round about 2005, so much has changed!

Here are a few questions about achieving customizations to the stock Efika MX install:
1. How do I change the default user from Efika to my own username? I've created a new user, but I don't get the opportunity switch users or even log in as my new user. The linux distros I've used have always had a login screen provided. What am I missing?
2. How do I get XFCE installed as the default GNOME 2 (?)
3. Is there a wiki/FAQ for new users?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:19 am 

Dear mister Tips,

Some tips whilst you are having a cupa:
Quote:
2. How do I get XFCE installed as the default GNOME 2 (?)
Goto the menu bar and choose:
System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager.
A popup window will appear, give your password and hit return.
In synaptic, in the search field, type: xfce4.
At the top of the list you will find xfce4, klick the check button, at the start of the line, choose "Mark for installation" and push the "Apply" button in the toolbar.
You may now have another cupa, it will take a while to install all of Xfce.
Quote:
1. How do I change the default user from Efika to my own username?
Again in the menu bar:
System > Administration > Login Screen.
"The Login Screen Settings" window will appear, klick on the "Unlock" button at the bottom of the window, a new window will popup, give your password and hit return, now you can make some changes, I think it's fairly obvious what you can change and how to do it. If you choose automatic login, you may still endup in a Gnome session, even if you set Xfce as the default, in that case, klick the power button, on the far right in the menu bar, and choose "Log Out", after a few seconds you will be presented with the login screen and a list of usernames, choose yours and then, in the bar at the bottom of the screen, you can change various things, amongst which the session type.
Quote:
3. Is there a wiki/FAQ for new users?
Not that I know of.

Good luck,
Frank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:49 am 

Thanks for the response. I've managed to log into my own user account and have begun customizing GNOME so that it's usable on a netbook screen.