All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:42 am 

Hi,

which Monitor would you suggest to buy? Can be an older screen, so i could get it used.
The only Screen i have which works is a TubeTV with HDMI.... problem there is the Overscan and that it is our main TV.... so i can not often use this to work on EfikaMX stuff...

I have tested two 22" TV's and they didn't work.

Edit: Sorry for double post ; )

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi,

which Monitor would you suggest to buy? Can be an older screen, so i could get it used.
The only Screen i have which works is a TubeTV with HDMI.... problem there is the Overscan and that it is our main TV.... so i can not often use this to work on EfikaMX stuff...

I have tested two 22" TV's and they didn't work.

Edit: Sorry for double post ; )
If you have a serial console (or SSH to the box) we'd love to have copies of the EDID (/sys/class/graphics/fb0/phys-link/edid) and dmesg for the mode culling (dmesg | grep SIIHDMI) for each of the non-working monitors.

Did you try the latest image (September)? It changes the modes it picks out which should have better underscan compatibility. The EDID & CEA spec says it should report overscan or underscan ability on the TV (and provide a way to allow setting it to underscan) but it turns out most TVs don't bother to tell us this, nor respect the setting we send.. (ATI and nVidia get around this with DAC or GPU-based screen scaling, neither of which we can really support)

As for monitors, if you want 1080p then you really need a TV; most monitors won't support low field rate modes. For 720p or thereabouts (latest kernel will find a very close mode, not just 720p, for better compatibility)

Monitors such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824254061 should work fine. I can make up a list of our test monitors and model numbers but a good number of them have been superceded by newer models, so you can't buy those exact ones anymore (except refurbished).

HDMI monitors tend to work much better than DVI ones, that is for sure. Unfortunately they're not as cheap..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:18 pm 

thank you very much! This monitor seems not to be available here...
could you tell me some of your compatible screens?
Refurbished is ok... i need it just for working.. i would look on ebay.

Will the next Efika get a better compatibility with "of the shelf"- screens?

Well, also a Nintendo WII has problems with some TV's .... or some TV's have a problem with a WII (YUV60) : ) Belongs to the viewpoint..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:03 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
thank you very much! This monitor seems not to be available here...
could you tell me some of your compatible screens?
Refurbished is ok... i need it just for working.. i would look on ebay.

Will the next Efika get a better compatibility with "of the shelf"- screens?
If a TV reports EDID data that doesn't work the new Efika is going to act the same way, unfortunately. We've just noticed that a some of the modes simply don't work even though the TV says they'll do them. My VIZIO (a crap, cheap TV) has one mode my ATI cards won't even display.
Quote:
Well, also a Nintendo WII has problems with some TV's .... or some TV's have a problem with a WII (YUV60) : ) Belongs to the viewpoint..
We are working on it. There are a couple things I want to completely rearchitect in the SIIHDMI driver which might improve things, but then again they may not..