All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: riscos port ..
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:38 pm 

Hi

I am going to start a port of RISC OS to the Efika MX platforms.
This will be a hobby project and since the compiler costs some money I don't know when I can start , but hopefully during the christmas holidays.

If anyone is interested to join me in this , please do it :)

http://www.genesi-usa.com
michael.grunditz@genesi-usa.com

Post subject: Re: riscos port ..
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:05 am 

Quote:
I am going to start a port of RISC OS to the Efika MX platforms. This will be a hobby project.
I'm a bit shocked that you put efforts into this extremely rare operating sytem, while you are doing the android port, which is a million times more viable...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:24 am 

You should not be so surprised. Small communities are often more active. Just think about Amiga / MorphOS! So it's worth to help them, they will help to spread the word about EFIKA.

Post subject: Re: riscos port ..
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:12 am 

Quote:
Quote:
I am going to start a port of RISC OS to the Efika MX platforms. This will be a hobby project.
I'm a bit shocked that you put efforts into this extremely rare operating sytem, while you are doing the android port, which is a million times more viable...
Don't worry. This riscos thing will be a spare time project :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:22 am 

Any news on this topic?
As a RISC OS user between 1989 and 2001, i'm really pleased to see it again :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Any news on this topic?
As a RISC OS user between 1989 and 2001, i'm really pleased to see it again :D
The real problem here is we can provide hardware, and we can point people at public documentation but if you want to support certain chips on the board (LCD controller, HDMI controller, and so on) then you will need to talk to the suppliers of those chips directly.

Genesi can provide referrals but we can't give people the docs - for a start most of them have our company name plastered all over them so they will know who "leaked" them out.

Given that the best you can get is audio and USB without it, no display, no wireless, potentially a lack of other peripheral components which need drivers.. this is a big, big project which runs on an ever increasingly flexible line of SoC's - to maintain RISCOS for MX51 and MX53 and onwards is going to be a lot of effort.

We have put this sort of support on hold while we prep our firmware solution which will allow operating systems to be ported using built-in firmware drivers and abstract developers and the OS on top of a full realtime microkernel - eventually being able to run OpenGLES libraries and applications without knowing even what chip you're using underneath. This is the goal, anyway, but right now.. it's not ready for people to port a whole new OS on top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:31 am 

Thenks for this very informative response.

Bruno