All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:41 pm 

JoBBo recently gave a rough and inofficial estimate of a releae date: ~3 month from now.

Well, I better add some extra weeks for my personal estimation (to avoid disappointment), but in late spring early/summer (read 2nd half of Q2/2008) it really should have arrived if I interpreted my available information correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:10 am 
Site Admin

Quote:

JoBBo recently gave a rough and inofficial estimate of a releae date: ~3 month from now.

Well, I better add some extra weeks for my personal estimation (to avoid disappointment), but in late spring early/summer (read 2nd half of Q2/2008) it really should have arrived if I interpreted my available information correctly.
If you ever used any of the MUI4 betas and saw how it broke many existing MorphOS MUI apps, then you'll know there are some annoying showstopper bugs to fix for users :)

It's not just Ralph preening over his beautiful kernel, but there is a lot of stuff changed and some of it the developers live with because they are able to. Users are a bit more finickity.

I reckon it's perfectly possible to bring it up to scratch in 3 months, though, as it was probably perfectly possible LAST Christmas to do it with what they had then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:24 am 

Quote:
If you ever used any of the MUI4 betas and saw how it broke many existing MorphOS MUI apps, then you'll know there are some annoying showstopper bugs to fix for users :)
Thanks for spreading FUD and lies against MorphOS. Please name *ONE* important application, which has *NO* alternative, and breaks with MUI4 betas... No, Voyager doesn't count as important. It's not in development any more, no one has rigths for fixing it, and it depend on private MUI API, which went away with the changes. And it has much better replacements now.

And on the contrary to what you think, MUI4 has tons of workarounds for misbehaving applications, which are considered important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:09 am 

Chain-Q: and even Voyager works with MUI4, as long as you don't delete the old classes... Of course this won't help those doing a first time install (altough you can take these files from the demo archive of MUI 3.8), but honestly no app broke with the MUI4 version I'm using, apart from HTMLView, that was updated.

Kind regards,
Andrea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:00 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
And on the contrary to what you think, MUI4 has tons of workarounds for misbehaving applications, which are considered important.
Yeah, exactly. You don't think I am talking about the latest one do you? The MUI betas have been available for ages.. and I was running "MUI 4" when it first arrived, well before the public had access.

When you comprehensively rework so much in an OS there is always a lot to make sure works. MUI 4 (from it's first "whoops it broke the layout on my app" to the now quite good version) is one of the major components of the OS that affects a lot of stuff. I used it as an example of something public facing and with a lot of legacy users.

After all, you don't think recompiling GPL Ambient is their problem, do you? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:21 pm 

Will AROS or MorphOS have a decent JAVA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:29 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Java is open source, why don't you port it, Arno?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:51 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Java is open source, why don't you port it, Arno?
Well I thought the system vendor would be working on it for quite some time?
"Of course, the idea is to tune the JVM to the Pegasos HAL/OF so we can carry this support wherever the HAL goes."

For me it would be a "nice to have", but not of strategic importance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Well I thought the system vendor would be working on it for quite some time?
For MorphOS? No.. that was for Linux and Solaris and other things.
Quote:
"Of course, the idea is to tune the JVM to the Pegasos HAL/OF so we can carry this support wherever the HAL goes."
Java does not and need not rely on firmware at all, and locking it in doesn' t really improve anything. However to protect any work on it, making only run on Genesi hardware (rather than providing millions of Apple users at the time with a free, optimized Java for Linux and getting no return on investment) it was considered that we would somehow make it only work using the firmware as a dongle.
Quote:
For me it would be a "nice to have", but not of strategic importance.
I'm sure many MorphOS users do not think it is strategically important to run Java applets on their great OS either; so, if you think it's nice, it's up to you to port it.

I am sure you well know that Genesi itself doesn't have a great deal of control over what goes into MorphOS except by indirect customer intervention; if someone wants MorphOS on Efika to do a thing, we work to support and sponsor that work.

Nobody's *asked* for Java on Linux or MorphOS, commercially, so in my own personal view, it is not worth putting in the engineering effort to "port" it right now.

Perhaps an opportunity will open with the Efika2 and the full release of MorphOS 2.0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:18 am 
Genesi

@tarbos - that quote is over two years old and that was the ambition at the time. Certainly, we have searched for ways to create value and uniqueness. Some ideas have been more successful than others. It is a tough road this business where disappointment is more often found than achievement. Perseverance is the key. We do our best.

R&B :)