All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:23 pm 

hello there

I wanted to reinstall Gentoo 2006.0 on my pegasos but i'm facing an issue here. I wanted to use Genkernel to generate a kernel quite identical to the one from the install CD but genkernel keeps failing.
I first emerged the gentoo-sources (tried with vanilla-sources too) which emerged a 2.6.16-x kernel then tried genkernel following the gentoo handbook :
genkernel --genzimage --kernel-config=/usr/share/genkernel/ppc/Pegasos all

but it keeps failing, telling that it cannot generate the vmlinux image.

I installed gentoo 2005.0 many times on peg using genkernel and had no issue like this before

can someone give me a hand with it ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:44 pm 

To use the config that came with the CD, you need to use the same kernel (in this case 2.6.15). The kernel ARCH changed between 2.6.15 and 2.6.16 (from ppc to powerpc), so the config from 2.6.15 won't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:26 am 

Quote:
To use the config that came with the CD, you need to use the same kernel (in this case 2.6.15). The kernel ARCH changed between 2.6.15 and 2.6.16 (from ppc to powerpc), so the config from 2.6.15 won't work.
so you mean i should try the "offline" installation process http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2006.0/index.xml

instead of following the usual gentoo handbook ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:43 am 

You just need to install the source for a 2.6.15 kernel instead (you can use =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.15_rX to pick a version). Or perform a manual kernel configuration with genkernel (pass --menuconfig).

Like I said before, this is sort of unusual, normally, the old configs do work, but there was an ARCH change between 2.6.15 and 2.6.16, so the old configs and klibc need some tweaking to work properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:03 am 

thanks for your help, i tried again (from scratch) using a 2.6.15 kernel but i got exactly the same error. It seems like Genkernel doesn't work at all with the pegasos. I did the same on my PC laptop last weekend and it worked fine. I'll try to set the kernel manually then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:01 pm 
I recommend using 2.6.15 kernel with "make menuconfig" if genkernel fails.
The "make" way works fine here ;-)

Quick and dirty tutorial :
add a link on your linux 2.6.15 kernel (if it does not exists)
then go in /usr/src/linux
copy a default .config file from install CD like this :
zcat /proc/config.gz > ./.config

Then do "make menuconfig" and enable/disable any module/thing you want for your kernel.
Then "make all modules_install"
Copy you kernel from /usr/src/linux/arch/ppc/boot/images/zImage.chrp to /boot/ssq-favorite-2.6.16-kernel

That'all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:53 pm 

thanks a lot Geoffrey ! i'll try that tomorrow !