All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: new GCC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:23 am 

Just a quick note for those of you, who like me read only the front page of gentoo.org, not the forums: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-476142.html

In summary: not just X.org is new, GCC is upgraded as well. If you don't follow instructions referenced from there, you will have difficulty compiling things.

CzP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:31 pm 

As a matter of fact, it appears that gcc-4.1.1 will be the default compiler in the 2006.1 profile. There is some debate about that, though.

I have been using Xorg 7.1 and gcc-4.1.1 for over a month. Both are very stable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:59 pm 

Quote:
As a matter of fact, it appears that gcc-4.1.1 will be the default compiler in the 2006.1 profile. There is some debate about that, though.
SUSE uses it now for the whole product line, from SUSE Linux to SL Enterprise Server, and it works fine. Any important applications have patches to compile with it, a large amount of them developed by SUSE, as early adopter :-)
Quote:
I have been using Xorg 7.1 and gcc-4.1.1 for over a month. Both are very stable.
They seem to work fine for me too. All I missed is mentioning GCC on the front page next to Xorg...

CzP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:34 am 

We are trying to solve all the latest issue related to this switch, we planned it months ago and started migrating application long time before (I ditched gcc-4.0 long ago because it weren't presenting any gain for the users but we kept updating =P).

I hope nobody will have major issues for this (people not willing to rebuild should wait 2006.1 release and use the prebuilt packages =) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:12 am 

I'm following instructions from the GCC upgrade page and do a
Code:
emerge -e system
It's a bit hot over here (over 30 degrees Celsius in shadow) and my little Peg also feels the heat, so compilation randomly fails. Is there any way to continue compilation from the last package instead of starting it over from the beginning?

CzP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:58 am 

Quote:
Is there any way to continue compilation from the last package
Code:
# emerge --resume
Or if the package just will not compile:
Code:
# emerge --resume --skipfirst