All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:17 am 

Beta Release (Current)

I've published two .IMG files for Bodhi on the Smartbook. One is for running the system off a LiveSD (for you non-committal types) and the other uses Genesi's automated installer to put Bodhi right onto your internal SSD (much faster!). You can find these images (as well as a simple tarbell of a rootfs and kernel image) here.

Also gave it a mention on the blog.

Let me know if there are any show stopping issues. Audio and shutdown issues are resolved now :)

Alpha Release (OLD)

Howdy All,

I'm currently uploading a Debian testing RootFS that works with the Smartbook to my project page here. It utilizes the Enlightenment desktop and pre-installs a minimal amount of applications.

There are some minor niggles with it currently, but it is fairly functional in it's current state :)

EDIT: Wrote up a short HOWTO for setting all this up - http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... tbook.html

Cheers,
~Jeff

Last edited by JeffHoogland on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:40 am 

Hi Jeff, that is great. Would it be possible for you to provide a bootable image that can be written directly to an SD card without the need for additional steps (such as using GParted)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:22 am 

I'm sure I could, do you know of a decent guide for creating .img files from a file system?

~Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:20 am 
Genesi

Jeff,

Have a look at how the ArmHF live-SD card works. All you should need to do is copy yours in the place of the ArmHF one (maybe changing your fstab to reflect the partition changes) and then use 'dd' to dump the SD card to a .img file.

Johan.

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:50 pm 

Updated with some bug fixes and now .img files.

Really enjoying the Smartbook as a device by the way - can't wait for the MX53 devices to show up!

~Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:52 pm 

Just wanted to share here that a user in the Genesi section of the Bodhi forums shared that the beta images work without issue on his Smarttop (I only tested on the smartbook):

"It's official, the current 1.3.0 installation release of Bodhi for the Genesi Smartbook 'Just Works' on the Genesi Smarttop.
And Bodhi Rocks on ARM! How? by using around two thirds less RAM than the official carefully pared down Ubuntu release.
Boot time made me jump!"

~Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:30 pm 
Genesi

That is great stuff, Jeff. We hope you will let these people know how much we appreciate people testing the package. Thank you for keeping us all informed.

R&B :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:25 am 

Once I dd-t it to a 4G SD card, dd complained, that the card was too small. I could not even mount the second partition. Solution:
Code:
linux-6965:/home/czanik/tmp/images # resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2
resize2fs 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
Resizing the filesystem on /dev/mmcblk0p2 to 950016 (4k) blocks.
The filesystem on /dev/mmcblk0p2 is now 950016 blocks long.

linux-6965:/home/czanik/tmp/images # e2fsck -f /dev/mmcblk0p2
e2fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
debian: 62493/230144 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 385223/950016 blocks
It can be mounted now, and according to df, there is still plenty of free space left. My smartbook is busy with openSUSE right now, but I will test Bodhi later today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:16 am 

OK, it boots and runs fine and very fast! On the other hand I miss a few apps. Can you provide me with passwords, so I could add a few things?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:33 am 

The "bodhi" account is setup for sudo, it's password is just "bodhi"

~Jeff

Post subject: Bodhi on Smartbook
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:17 am 

Bodhi installs fine on the smartbook, a few comments you may already be aware of:

* Keyboard bindings for monitor brightness do not work, although the xmodmap looks okay. How can I otherwise change the screen brightness? The menu entry I found in the gui did not seem to work either.

* User permissions do not seem to work for opening external storage devices or using them if they are connected when booting. Normal GUIs are permissioned to allow users to plug in their USB sticks or SD cards and use them.

* Suspend did not seem to work.

* The locale is posix. Normally I expect to see a UTF8 based locale, but this should be easy enough to fix.

-- matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:32 pm 

Just wanted to let you know these issues are noted and they are on target for my next release image for the Genesi.

Once I get a better kernel image built it should resolve the screen brightness issue.

I'm going to have to dig around as to why normal user can't mount removable media (I noticed that as well). Open to suggestions on this one.

~Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:46 pm 
Genesi

Quote:
I'm going to have to dig around as to why normal user can't mount removable media (I noticed that as well). Open to suggestions on this one.
Can you verify that the user in question belongs to the plugdev group?

Johan.

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:48 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Can you verify that the user in question belongs to the plugdev group?
It isn't the default on my image, but I added my user to that group and still couldn't mount removable media.

~Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:31 am 

Quote:
Hi

if the error is reported as "not authorised" the solution appears to be a policy kit file.

In my test....removing it and re-installing it on a Debian desktop Not a genesi device... was sufficient to reproduce the error above.

Suggested solution is here

http://blog.dale.id.au/archives/1068

Please note that altho the link is only discussing usb media....it applies to optical media as well.

Forgive me if that is not the same mount error you are having trouble with.

(off topic) Recent pcmanfm updates seem to replace a few dependencies on a Debian system. So if you see any users complaining of pcmanfm issues you might like to suggest above solution. YMMV

good luck