All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:35 am 

http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110205a

Wonder if it'll work on my Peg 2? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:37 am 

and who are you waiting for? Try by yourself.

Anyway i read here:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/p ... 01.html.en
Code:
2.1.2.4. CHRP subarchitecture (unsupported)
but maybe with a custom iso...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:47 pm 

Quote:
and who are you waiting for? Try by yourself.
Somebody who cares enough to bother with Linux on PPC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:39 am 

Squeeze now installed on my PegasosII, but i can't start it - need compressed kernel named vmlinuZ. Can anybody post link to compiled vmlinuz kernel for PPC Debian 6 Squeeze?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:01 pm 

@CLR:
Quote:
Squeeze now installed on my PegasosII, but i can't start it - need compressed kernel named vmlinuZ. Can anybody post link to compiled vmlinuz kernel for PPC Debian 6 Squeeze?
You need package mkvmlinuz, it's exactly for the sole purpose to produce a working vmlinuz kernel from a vmlinux image on a PowerPC Open Firmware machine, like the Pegasos.

I haven't tried though, if it works in Squeeze on a Pegasos II, but I'm about to try it now. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:13 pm 

This is the biggest issue I have with linux - I'm not remotely interested in trying to modify any part of the OS source so why should I have to compile in order to install and use it? So much effort goes into these distributions but they still don't just work - they have to be tinkered with. This is all very last-century in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:49 am 

@Chain-Q

I think he wants the kernel itself

@ausPPC

You've got to be joking haven't you ? We're talking about ~10 year old hardware used by some dozen or so enthusiasts for Linux, yet you expect it to work out of the box first time ?

It sounds like Debian 6 was not tested for CHRP however, it sounds like only a slight adjustment may see it working. No one is talking about editing source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:40 pm 

@koan
I understand what he wants, but it doesn't make sense to post a kernel here, which he can make himself. He got the system installed somehow, so he should boot the system with that installer kernel, then install mkvmlinuz package, and from that point all installed kernels via upgrades will be there in vmlinuz version in his /boot directory automagically.

I upgaded from lenny, where I had mkvmlinuz installed, and after upgrade I got a squeeze kernel in vmlinuz version, out of the box.

Edit: I stand corrected, while I got the updated vmlinuz kernel, it doesn't really boot on a Pegasos 2... I'd bet it's too big for the machine, almost 12MB, plus the initrd... Fortunately, my system still works somewhat with the Lenny kernel. Now trying to figure out how to fix this properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:24 pm 

Heh, it's my fault :) After full installation vmlinuz in the right place and works. Prev. my installation not ended becouse bad written dvd-rw. Now all ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:01 am 

Debian Squeeze works well, but i look glitches in palette of some DE elements, icons, etc. I think my xorg.conf have slighty not correct settings.