All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:17 am 

Anyone knows an available/installable binary package of Gnash plugin 0.8.2 (recent version) for Debian Etch PowerPC?

I managed to compile 0.8.0 and it still works for me, but when i tried to build any newer version, i got libc++ errors at linking stage. Probably my dev environment got polluted by one of my experiments earlier, and i haven't got the time and mood to fix it yet.

A fast Googling for a solution didn't help, at least. Anyone with the same problem maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:07 am 

I'm using Debian 4.0r2 + updated packages incl. gnash 0.8.2-1. This gnash binary package can be downloaded from http://packages.debian.org/sid/gnash - but I don't know if it helps, it's binary package from "unstable" (sid) distribution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:27 am 

Quote:
I don't know if it helps, it's binary package from "unstable" (sid) distribution.
Well i've a "stock" Etch for now, and not really in the mood to "pollute" it with Sid packages. I tried to download the .deb files from unstable, and install by hand, but it didn't work (tons of unsatisfied dependencies). Maybe i'll try to dig out the binary, and try to run it anyway, when i'll be at the machine again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:32 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Anyone knows an available/installable binary package of Gnash plugin 0.8.2 (recent version) for Debian Etch PowerPC?
These all should be available in SuSE 10.3 or 11.0 (only a month to wait until a reasonable Beta 2 release..)

I would really recommend updating from Debian to something actively maintained with recent packages. Efika support in 11.0 is going to be awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:49 am 

Quote:
I would really recommend updating from Debian to something actively maintained with recent packages.
It's a production machine, running tons of services, used by a dozen of other people too, that's why i'm not in the mood to pollute it with unstable packages. Change to other distro is out of question (for now, which means 1+ year).
Quote:
Efika support in 11.0 is going to be awesome.
I believe, but in this case I was talking about my Pegasos2/G4... Not to mention, that "change to other distro" was never considered a creative and acceptable answer in any Linux forum, and ignited far too much flamewars already, i guess...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:35 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I believe, but in this case I was talking about my Pegasos2/G4...
It's still going to be awesome on Pegasos II too.
Quote:
Not to mention, that "change to other distro" was never considered a creative and acceptable answer in any Linux forum, and ignited far too much flamewars already, i guess...
Well, I figure it's always a good answer when you're using Debian. "Use Linux" is not productive when answering Windows questions, but "stop using software that's 3 years old" is really what you are looking for here. You're not going to achieve that with Debian because of the policies in place.

You do realise that Ubuntu was created for exactly this reason?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:06 am 

Quote:
Well, I figure it's always a good answer when you're using Debian. "Use Linux" is not productive when answering Windows questions, but "stop using software that's 3 years old" is really what you are looking for here.
Fix your facts. Debian Etch (current stable) was released less than a year ago. It was about as recent, as the Ubuntu release released the same month.
Quote:
You do realise that Ubuntu was created for exactly this reason?
Do you realise that the Debian i'm using is more up to date than a 7.04 Ubuntu release (which is still in use by many people)? And do you realise, that when you need production stability, the older is better (more robust, mature)?

And again: My Linux experiences going back to nearly one and a half decade now. As you might be able to figure out, this simple fact provides a quite good foundation to decide perfectly well which Linux distribution fits my needs. (Side note: I'm using Ubuntu as well, on some other machines, for different purposes.) My question was about a Gnash binary for THIS SPECIFIC version of Debian Linux/PPC. I am perfectly aware how it's possible to get the functionality itself in many other ways (like using another distro). I'm not interrested in what you suggest, i'm interrested in if you know a Gnash binary for the current stable release of Debian Linux. If you don't, then don't try to play the smartass, but instead please SHUT UP. That's more productive. Thank you. (And feel free to moderate me, if you wanna play "power" games...)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:08 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I figure it's always a good answer when you're using Debian. "Use Linux" is not productive when answering Windows questions, but "stop using software that's 3 years old" is really what you are looking for here.
Fix your facts. Debian Etch (current stable) was released less than a year ago. It was about as recent, as the Ubuntu release released the same month.
Check the release date of the glibc Etch ships with, then come back to me. I think you'll find it's a couple of years old at least. Debian fixes certain major packages down FAR in advance of release and backports the bare essentials to keep it "up to date". Remember Etch was delayed by a very, very long time and frozen well before that. Ubuntu has been updated at least twice.
Quote:
If you don't, then don't try to play the smartass, but instead please SHUT UP. That's more productive.
I am sure you will appreciate that I expect you can compile the thing yourself if you are that experienced. It is not very hard to grab the debian/rules etc. from Alioth or even use the Ubuntu source package and make your own package - you managed to get Compiz running when nobody else bothered to even try, what makes Gnash so much harder even with some linking errors in your way?

It would probably help to list the libc++ linking errors, as these may be related not to the flaky nature of your development environment so much as the AGE of your development environment.

Last edited by Neko on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:36 am 

Quote:
Regardless of the rest of the discussion, which is none of my business, the fact is that after Sven Luther's expulsion from Debian, Debian's powerpc support has been less than minimal. There was simply no person to replace Sven and his powerpc+debian expertise. This wasn't apparent with Etch, but it will be with Lenny and later releases. And that is a FACT.