All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:51 am 

Hi,

I know this is a silly question but you know what areas of use?

I always was developed for web, gui or server and now I first met with small device - and I like :) All so new that it does not even know what you usually tend to use
My first project is an advertisement system (advertising video playback with scrolling text and management webinterface).

I would go further and now I would like to find a customer and not vice versa.

My first - lame - ideas:
- other advertisement system
- building automation (industrial areas or "smart-house")

What concrete idea would be for you?

Thank you for your advice,
sajtmoly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:46 pm 

I use the Smarttop in my den, in conjunction with a 23 inch HP monitor, for casual surfing and viewing PAL formatted DVDs and VHS tapes. Because of its very low power consumption, it is going to become my local LAN data server/backup as well, with a 32GB SD card for day to day data serving use and a 1TB USB disk drive for archiving of my systems.

Its only real problem seems to be slowness because of excessive swapping, mainly due to RAM limitations. Occasionally, I swear one can see its sides suck in when it is given a big task to do, but it is decidedly not a toy! It has been exceedingly reliable and stable, though I feel its performance is hampered by Ubuntu's (and Gnome's) propensities to write useless bloatware. It has been a long time since I ported any code seriously but I would like try to see what the Smarttop could do with, perhaps, Slackware or maybe Unity ported to ARM, using OpenBox or LXDE, instead of Ubuntu 10 and Gnome.

Ed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:29 pm 

I use mine headless as a DLNA server (miniDLNA; streaming video to my TV) and as a fast-caching, privacy-oriented internet proxy for all computers on my network (privoxy + polipo).