All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Keyboard support
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:49 am 

First barrier I hit is my USB wireless Keyboard/Mouse are not recognised by Efika. (I get a big b and a blinking cursor.) Since I don't have a stack of keyboards to try I looked for list of compatible keyboards so I can go buy one. I didn't find a list on this site or on the internet. If there is a list, could someone point me to it? Unless I have missed something, nothing happens without a keyboard and some people said they tried several before they found one that works.

If there is not a list, may I take a poll from the forum members of what is in use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:16 am 

If you have a reset-button on your EFIKA. Try
resetting it and see if it finds the keyboard.

I have that problem with the wireless Logitech
keyboard that was shipped with the ODW.

Post subject: Warm boot!! I'll try it.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:29 am 

Warm boot!! I'll try it.

Another thought:
After I get the auto-boot done can I tell the motherboard to ignore the keyboard error and have Linux find the keyboard?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Warm boot!! I'll try it.

Another thought:
After I get the auto-boot done can I tell the motherboard to ignore the keyboard error and have Linux find the keyboard?
If the warm boot works, try editing your nvramrc ("nvedit" command) and doing the following (this is entirely off the top of my head so please do not kill me if your system never boots again):
Code:
probe-all

0xf00000208 dup l@ \ read breadcrumb register
0x123 = if \ if it is set to 0x123 then we have only booted once
d# 51966 l! \ set breadcrumb to this value
d# 1000 ms reset-all \ wait 1 second and reset
then

install-console banner
In theory it'll mark the "warm reboot" register in the SoC to another non-zero value. When the system boots the HAL sets it to "123" so that it knows it is doing a warm or cold boot at any time (it is reset to 0 on a cold boot). However the check is set or unset, not for any particular value. It is also not set unless the register is 0, so any value you set will persist across many reboots.

By setting it to the other value means you can check if you have booted before, and if not, wait a second, reset the system, and boot again. Hopefully this is enough to get the system to warm reboot automatically and then detect your keyboard without too much of a delay..

Like I said I wrote this off the top of my head just now, it may not work, I have have misremembered the breadcrumb value. I offer the opportunity for developers to play around and work out if I got it right :)

There are some other alternatives; look for the keyboard node under /builtin/usb at the position you expect. If it does not exist, reboot.. this is probably a hell of a lot safer, but my code is generic for any device to force a reboot just once (it would help hard disk spinups too) and you could even remove probe-all and put it after the "then" with mine for an even quicker reset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:21 am 

Quote:
any value you set will persist across many reboots.
Making every boot a warm boot!
Great!
But.......
There is bound to be a downside.
Quote:
this is entirely off the top of my head so please do not kill me if your system never boots again
That depends on where you are in Texas.
I will be more likely to forgive if I can just bring it over and let you fix it.
Sounds like I should find a manual with "nvedit"

In any case,
Thanks
GPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:03 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
this is entirely off the top of my head so please do not kill me if your system never boots again
That depends on where you are in Texas.
A quiet little town called Birmingham, about 3800 miles from San Antonio. That is to say, not in Texas at the moment.
Quote:
I will be more likely to forgive if I can just bring it over and let you fix it.
Sounds like I should find a manual with "nvedit"
Yeah I thought of some caveats with the "look for a keyboard node" way too, like if you unplugged your keyboard at any boot, it would never get to a serial prompt and your board would be bricked (until you plugged a keyboard back in :)

There has to be a really cute solution for it, anyway. There are two other "reboot problems" that could be fixed this way, one with USB devices being held in a funny state when Linux reboots (the firmware doesn't seem to be as.. aggressive.. as Linux is with a device reset) and the other is the standard disk spinup problem.

Some day I will collect all these ideas and script snippets together..

Post subject: Reset
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:23 am 

One thing is for sure, I go back and add a reset button to the box I built for my board.
First time in a long time that I wanted one of those!

Thanks again
GPete

Added: Warm boot works!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:17 pm 

Niktarix was what I had in mind, but the install hangs.(Problem posted elsewhere)
So, there is a Debian installation at
http://www.littlefe.net/mediawiki/index ... ikaInstall
unfortunately he is installing from a hard drive, so I had to look for a boot command
many didn't work, but
boot cd /install/pegasos
and
boot cd /install/pegasos di_efica (or DI_EFIKA)
start the Debian installation
without a keyboard.
Which puts me back here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
GPete