All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:24 am 
Genesi

We should have an Open Client with a durable screen and ready for use in stressed environments for presentation later this week.

R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:39 am 

Perfect!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:11 am 
Genesi

Good work Noël!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:50 am 

What are the specs of the used screen? Inches and height and width in pixels? How is it connected to the graphics card?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:52 pm 

@mvdhoning

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54643129@N00/546863220/

almost an answer ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:50 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
What are the specs of the used screen? Inches and height and width in pixels? How is it connected to the graphics card?
It's a Sharp display, 7", 16:9 ratio, 800x480.

Essentially what you would see on Microsoft's UMPC platform today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:41 pm 

Hi,

I've just uploaded a video of the "Portable EFIKA" prototype in action.

Some "lags" can appear during playback. They only come from the bad quality of the video compressed by Youtube: everything is perfectly smooth on the EFIKA. ;-)

Regards,

Stellae (Project 337)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:50 am 

Quote:
Everything is perfectly smooth on the EFIKA.
Very impressive. Could you please give more details about the software being run? It's because it looked like a regular PC on speed! What Linux distro are you using?
Also, and more interesting for some, the last part looks like a demo I've seen somewhere running in MorphOS... but no MorphOS in sight prior to the demo.
Could you please ellaborate about system and application software?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:41 am 

Quote:
Very impressive. Could you please give more details about the software being run? It's because it looked like a regular PC on speed! What Linux distro are you using?
dunno what distro but the windows manager is fluxbox which is running great on Efika.

Quote:
Also, and more interesting for some, the last part looks like a demo I've seen somewhere running in MorphOS... but no MorphOS in sight prior to the demo.
this demo is multi-platform (linux, windows, morphos, mac etc.) This is the linux version i guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:10 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Looks like buffered IDE signals (bus transceivers on a small add-on PCB at the IDE connector?) are needed for anything that don't fit on the EFIKA board. This would help to satisfy SI stub length and electrical spec.
Such hardware doesn't exist, and really, I don't think it is worth the time or engineering effort to even make it.

We had a project submission for a buffered IDE port on the Efika, from someone who had made Amiga buffered IDE ports before (wait, was this you?). I couldn't get a decent answer from bplan on whether it was even possible, and the rumble from that side of the company was that it would probably be more complex than it sounds.

So, just make do with it. I cannot imagine what you want to do with an Efika given it's specifications that would require so much hardware on an ATA bus.
I'd have liked to have had hard drive and CDROM both. OR I'd like to move the drive location in the case and do a 3.5" IDE drive adaption. OR I'd like to do a CompactFlash adaptor with buffered IDE to cable to a hard drive or CD. If that's beyond what Efika is meant for, well, then I want to do something Efika wasn't meant for. I'm not interested in whether you think it makes sense or not, it makes sense to me. Hardware ingenuity is part of what attracted me to the Amiga back in the day, and I'd like to continue hacking. I'm trying to figure out what to use my Efika for, and either I get to do what I want with the IDE port or it'll be a boring print server.

Serious question, how do I learn more about Efika's IDE limitations to work on a buffer gadget or two?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:36 am 
Genesi

This effort is going to be revitalized. If you have any suggestions or comments, please email them to us.

Thanks!

Post subject: Faces
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:53 am 

Hello,

I found a german company that craft aluminium faces for a decent price. Maybe a solution to build a portable design :

Schaeffer-ag.de

I don't know if this make really any sense with the upcoming 5121 design with embedded GPU to design anything with the aging efika I.

I hope the Efika II will have a direct +12V supply and not an ATX psu connector. This can add a big amount of money to put a picopsu + ACDC converter.

++

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:22 am 
Genesi

We are still working up the full details. It has taken some time to get the second version of the silicon. The main idea this time is that on one of the reference designs the display device will be internally connected on the board. Ideally, the size of the board will be the size of the display. It will be packaged and sold this way. Another reference design using nearly the same chip will have more I/O and be a bit more flexible in use. For example, for video output there will be options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:17 am 

Quote:
We are still working up the full details. It has taken some time to get the second version of the silicon. The main idea this time is that on one of the reference designs the display device will be internally connected on the board. Ideally, the size of the board will be the size of the display. It will be packaged and sold this way. Another reference design using nearly the same chip will have more I/O and be a bit more flexible in use. For example, for video output there will be options.

Archos is building such devices. Will the efika II compete against such well designed devices?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:56 am 
Genesi

Hi Tcheko, Archos is building something a bit different than what we are developing around the 5121e. This is the sort of market we target:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/6208

There will be many possibilities in the configuration we are planning, including industrial automation, Point-of-Sale devices and such as you see in the link above. It may also be possible to build a OLPC-like device, but we will have to wait and see how the new version of the chip actually performs.