All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:14 am 

What is the maximum resolution of the EFIKA MX Netbook? All I could find on http://www.genesi-usa.com/products/netbook is "24-bit primary display support up to WXGA resolution" but after googling I still have no idea what size that is. ( those letters are confusing, 1024 x 768 would be more to the point?)

I was looking at Efika MX Open Client and Efika MX Netbook at http://www.genesi-usa.com and noticed that the Open Client has a hdmi option and the Netbook does not; i was hoping to be able to connect the Netbook to the tv for media playback ( video and pictures). Seems that will not be possible using the Netbook or the Open Client would have to be used?

Since I am interested in the media playback, I have assumed that the audio will be passed over through the hdmi. Is this correct or somthing like beagalboard ?

Lastly, I hope the Netbook does not have a 'windows key' ?

Thanks matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:18 am 

WXGA is a wide resolution

check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WXGA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:15 am 

If you want something for media playback
I would recommend a ZyXEL DMA-2500 or the
older (and more expensive) Popcorn Hour.

There is no point in purchasing a computer
for playing media content. A computer is
too much for general purpose and they are
seldom suitable for high quality media playback.
Boot-times, non-optimized drivers and no remote
control..

Use your computer for computer-tasks and
get the cheap DMA-2500 for MKV-files.

BTW, I doubt the EFIKA could handle 1080p MKV-
files anyway.. However, it could be great as
a Linux Netbook.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:44 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
What is the maximum resolution of the EFIKA MX Netbook? All I could find on http://www.genesi-usa.com/products/netbook is "24-bit primary display support up to WXGA resolution" but after googling I still have no idea what size that is. ( those letters are confusing, 1024 x 768 would be more to the point?)
Watch and Learn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:02 am 

Quote:
ZyXEL DMA-2500 or the
older (and more expensive) Popcorn Hour.
The zyxel looks interesting. I thought the popcorn hour thing was x86 ?
Quote:
There is no point in purchasing a computerfor playing media content. A computer istoo much for general purpose and they areseldom suitable for high quality media playback. Boot-times, non-optimized drivers and no remote control..
The computer is my only means of media. I do not own a dvd player. (except for whats on the computer). Boot time? I fail to understand why thats an issue, I boot once a month, uptime is usually 30+ days. Yes I recognize that this wont do 1080p but thats not needed. The TV intended is only 720 and this is only for dvd's.
Quote:
Use your computer for computer-tasks and get the cheap DMA-2500 for MKV-files.
I was thinking the Netboot could easily handle a dvd, am I mistaken ? I only asked about the video, this is not the only purpose of this. I dont think any laptop or netbook would be useful if it can not do any video.
Quote:
BTW, I doubt the EFIKA could handle 1080p MKV-files anyway.. However, it could be great as a Linux Netbook.
Where are you getting 1080p mkv ? I have only seen pirated videos on bit torrent use that. Of course it would be a linux netbook, what else would it be ?
Quote:
That site is all german, I could not read anything on it, and didnt see anything about the efika netbook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:55 am 

Why not just get a DVD-player?

* You will have a remote.
* You will have the proper connections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:20 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
That site is all german, I could not read anything on it, and didnt see anything about the efika netbook.
Did you watch the video?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:01 pm 

Quote:
Why not just get a DVD-player?
The dvd player can only play dvd's. If i have the show, copied dvd or recorded, or downloaded interent, i would have to burn a dvd; wasteful. The idea is i could just bring the netbook over and play.
Quote:
Did you watch the video?
I did not see a download link for a video (perhaps it is in german and I do not understand) If its embedded in the web page, thats all disabled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I did not see a download link for a video (perhaps it is in german and I do not understand) If its embedded in the web page, thats all disabled.
It's a YouTube video in the middle of the webpage.. you can't view YouTube videos?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:05 pm 

Quote:
..you can't view YouTube videos?!
nope. there is very little i am missing. the quality on youtube is worthless. and anything else that uses it is just annoying adds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:31 am 

matt:
You will need to download all your DVD's
anyway, since the netbook doesn't have
any DVD-player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:32 am 

@ mattmatteh
Quote:
Quote:
..you can't view YouTube videos?!
nope. there is very little i am missing. the quality on youtube is worthless. and anything else that uses it is just annoying adds.
I viewed the HQ version of that video on my laptop in full screen, and the quality was quite excellent, and the content very interesting.

@ Neko

This "Pegatron" netbook looks completely identical as "your" netbook...

...and when you also recommend watching that Pegatron video for more info about your product, I have to ask - are they one and the same, like, are you "piggybacking" some general bigger development effort by someone else, like some OEM/rebranding deal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:32 pm 
Genesi

Hi THMG, for the moment with soft tooling and a Ubuntu or Moblin image it pretty much is the same thing. With Aura though it really is very different. When the product ships with the hard tooling and final board design you will see the difference there too.

Aura drastically reduces the software development to bring up a new platform. As such, it fully replaces the traditional BSP approach. While, this created some advantages for us with PowerPC, we have experienced a tremendous benefit with ARM because of all the different implementations and customers we now have. Aura has allowed us to provide a wide range of customer support with vendor specific function calls and all without IP disclosure. We also think we will fully realize our long held objectives with respect to multiple operating system support much faster than we ever have using this approach. We have had a few years to get better with it...;-)

A good example here would be the 2D and 3D graphic driver sources that support the two graphic cores in the i.mx51. We have never had a source license for the graphics from AMD/ATI and for this chip we do. The secrets will be buried in Aura (IAW the license agreement), while a clean and simple interface without any platform dependencies will be ready for the chosen OS. Be sure, we are pretty excited about the opportunity.

We have already developed more boards/systems in 2009 than the previous five years combined. We will have more details soon...

R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:35 pm 

Quote:

We have already developed more boards/systems in 2009 than the previous five years combined. We will have more details soon...

R&B :)
Very intresting info :)
I wait for more ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:44 am 

BBRV:
Thanks for the update!