All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:17 pm 

Bodhi Linux worked extremely well on the Genesi smartbook. The only remaining items needed for a market success are streaming of all media and the ability to run Google video talk. They were very close to making this a reality!

For the Genesi i.mx6 smartbook hardware, the following is recommended:
1. Bodhi Linux OS
2. hdmi outlet for video.
3. quad core and possibly dual core processor.
4. white or metalic color that doesn't show fingerprints.
5. lowest cost due to manufacturing efficiencies.
6. removable solid state hard drive.
7. pixel qi screen might be considered.
8. improved touch pad comparable to HP or Apple

Last edited by Fox7799 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:35 pm 

Update February 5, 2013: The Genesi i.MX6 Smartbook isn't here yet but we are looking at installing Bodhi Linux on the Zealz GK802, details at http://liliputing.com/2013/01/install-u ... ni-pc.html . The GK802 has a quad core i.MX6 Freescale processor so it should be easy to install Bodhi Linux on it and on the Genesi i.MX6 Smartbook when available.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:22 pm 

pretty cool device...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
pretty cool device...
It is a damn shame the GK802 is so well-designed (apart from one quirk with the USB port which makes it hateful to really develop on) but the software support is terrible. The Richtechie/Geekbuying guys simply do not respond to GPL requests. We made some effort to reverse engineer the board design so we could figure out which pins are being used for SD card CD/WP and which buses and muxes are in use (thankfully very few) and did get a brand new U-Boot working for it (boots from SD card).

If anyone's interested maybe we can spend a little more time on it, but in the end without the original kernel source they shipped on it.. that's a pain in the backside.

Unfortunately this reflects extremely badly on Freescale more than anyone else; companies like Genesi tend to go out and buy things like the GK802 to see what other people are doing with it (at $95 it is certainly cheaper than a SabreAuto development kit just to benchmark the i.MX6 :) - and if we feel we can't do much with it, we tend to go find other chips which have better development options. Fortunately, we're really good at what we do and i.MX is our thing, so we're limping along with our little unit and the rest of the Freescale development boards and still happy with the performance of the i.MX6 as a whole. Just not the ability to run what we want on some of them..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:10 pm 

Bodhi has stopped work on ARM processor computers so I have installed the new Ubuntu based version at http://techuman.wordpress.com/2014/05/0 ... smartbook/ . There is a new 3.7 kernel version of this in development but I am waiting until it is final. Can you upgrade to the new version when final or is it better to install from scratch?

Thanks