All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Paying for MorphOS 2
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:21 pm 

According to this thread -

http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_ ... 0&start=40

MorphOS 2 will have to be paid for by the end user. Fair enough but is there a possibility of multiple license (?) discounts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:12 am 

Maybe but be aware that MorphOS 2.0 must be registered with a keyserver and is hard bundled with the board you used via its MAC address. If the board dies or you do an upgrade you have to pray that the keyserver is still alive and able to generate an new key. Thats nothing I would waste money for.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:37 am 

Is it possible to obtain a personal license and not hardware dependent license. Today I have 4 hardware : Peg II, Peg I April 2 (PEG I April in spare) and Efika.
4*111 euros = 444 euros to use morphos only for one user. It's too too expensive !!
Could we have to 2 or 3 hardware licence bundle with a discount price ??

best
Bruno

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:46 am 

Quote:
Is it possible to obtain a personal license and not hardware dependent license. Today I have 4 hardware : Peg II, Peg I April 2 (PEG I April in spare) and Efika.
4*111 euros = 444 euros to use morphos only for one user. It's too too expensive !!
Could we have to 2 or 3 hardware licence bundle with a discount price ??
Thats currently not available or planned. The reason is easy.

People would combine forces to buy their licences with discount and there is no way to find out if someone really has 3 systems or just invited his neighbours to get discount. Some people already claimed having 8 Pegasos systems, but there is no way to prove that.

On the other hand if you can afford 3 or more systems with components, then you should be able to pay for your OS, too.

The market is simply to small to make such excuses and if you take a look into the about window you can imaging how many money will left for each developer after subtracting paypal, taxes and server costs.

Geit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:45 am 

Quote:
People would combine forces to buy their licences with discount and there is no way to find out if someone really has 3 systems or just invited his neighbours to get discount. Some people already claimed having 8 Pegasos systems, but there is no way to prove that.
that's being a bit paranoid no ?
I'm impressed, the morphOS team do trust the few users left... and know how to reward them for their patience over the years they had to spend without some proper communication or progress news.
Quote:
On the other hand if you can afford 3 or more systems with components, then you should be able to pay for your OS, too.
is that a reason to set the OS at a higher price than the hardware ? (Efika)
At least the efika version should be cheaper.
Quote:
The market is simply to small to make such excuses and if you take a look into the about window you can imaging how many money will left for each developer after subtracting paypal, taxes and server costs.
yes the market is small, and the morphos team is only making it smaller with such a price (and certainly not trying to attract new users).
I thought we were a "community", but we're nothing but a market.

sorry for the tone of my answers, i'm just so disappointed about all of this. MorphOS is a beautiful OS, but this elitism is getting on my nerves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:34 am 

Thank you Soundsquare for your help. I'm not alone to think there's a problem.

It was a very bad idea to hope something good of this market.

I will probably buy an license for the Efika to have a usable OS (linux is too slow) but stay with MorphOS 1.5 on my PEG II (in any case Morphos 2 doesn't start on my PEG 2) and I will probably send my two other PEG 1 on my street trash and not on ebay to give them a good death (I'll send you photo !!) . It will be my way to mark my disapointment about the license hardware mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:37 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
.. on my PEG II (in any case Morphos 2 doesn't start on my PEG 2)
You could boot the CD and see if it works or not. You'll get 30 minutes to make sure..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:46 am 

Quote:
I will probably send my two other PEG 1 on my street trash and not on ebay to give them a good death (I'll send you photo !!) . It will be my way to mark my disapointment about the license hardware mode.
Throwing away perfectly good hardware made my one company, that someone could surely use, to spite an entirely different and entirely unrelated `company` over their choice of software licensing? Yeah... that'll really teach them.
Going on that same inherently flawed logic, I might throw out my Sony PS2 in protest at Nintendo for not releasing their software on it. I mean if we're going to start blaming companies for products which have nothing whatsoever to do with them we may as well go all the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:56 am 

If you are not happy with the situation just don't buy it. If they want you as customer they have to start thinking about it. No need to trash working hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:31 pm 

I will try the neko's idea for my peg2 ...wait 30 minutes to see if it's definitly freezed

for the peg in trashcan:
Sorry for colateral damage, it's not a problem of hardware design and work I know , but MorphOS remains the natural OS for Peg & Efika (it can't be compared to sony&nintendo) and nobody will have the chance to buy a license for the 2 PEG I. If I sell my 2 PEG, 2 new users can be buy 2 morphos licenses and my sanction is to give not this oportunity to MorphOS team to sell more license (there are very good developpers but for commercial ways it's no good and a lot of users that support morphos since many years are very disapointed. Yes I'm not alone !!). Next time users can think too times before their financial participation to bounties ...better keep your money for the licence price...I know that's not a positive way I choose but maybe it's the only way they can understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Sorry for colateral damage, it's not a problem of hardware design and work I know , but MorphOS remains the natural OS for Peg & Efika (it can't be compared to sony&nintendo) and nobody will have the chance to buy a license for the 2 PEG I.
Usually when someone says "I hate my Pegasos, I want to throw it in the trash" I would ask them to send it back to bplan or Genesi, since they do come in handy.

However, I don't think we have any use whatsoever for a Pegasos I of any Articia/April combination. I can only imagine I could solder the PLL settings to work in a Pegasos II and get a couple G3 cards out of it.

Trash the boards, send us the CPUs? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:37 pm 

Quote:
Thank you Soundsquare for your help. I'm not alone to think there's a problem.

It was a very bad idea to hope something good of this market.

I will probably buy an license for the Efika to have a usable OS (linux is too slow) but stay with MorphOS 1.5 on my PEG II (in any case Morphos 2 doesn't start on my PEG 2) and I will probably send my two other PEG 1 on my street trash and not on ebay to give them a good death (I'll send you photo !!) . It will be my way to mark my disappointment about the license hardware mode.
Here's a better solution:

Sell one (or both) Peg1 on ebay and pay the MorphOS license fee from your proceeds. win-win situation. You don't spend actual money (just lose spare, unused hardware) and the MOS community may gain a new user 8the customer who buys your Peg1).
A Peg1 (Apriled) should get you about 200 EUR.

The Peg1 with MorphOS is still quite useful (i still use my Peg1). To trash it would be stupid, would be as wise as burning some cash notes directly 8yes i know the burning 1 Mio GBP thing by the KLF).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:37 am 

Quote:
and the MOS community may gain a new user 8the customer who buys your Peg1).
you don't get the point, the purpose of it is to avoid the morphos dev team to get any benefit from it. A thrashed peg=a licence they will never sell.
that's a bit extreme, i'm thinking about selling my peg myself, but that's a symbol.

I'm less angry than i was on the release day, but still so disappointed by the licencing policy and price.

My efika is not usable wth morphos untill they fix the bugs, which means i'll have to pay even more if it works one day, i can't take the 111 euros option, it's too risky, i don't even know if it will work good enough on efika one day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:43 am 

Quote:

you don't get the point, the purpose of it is to avoid the morphos dev team to get any benefit from it. A thrashed peg=a licence they will never sell.
that's a bit extreme,
Isn't that just childish?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:15 am 

Quote:
Isn't that just childish?
maybe yes.
but don't get it on the philosophical level, isn't war childish ? isn't competition childish ? isn't capitalism childish ? ;-)

seriously, there's nothing surprising in witnessing such behaviours. The amount of angry or disappointed users about it is quite important. I'd be curious to know after 2/3 months the accurate amount of MOS 2.0 licences that will be sold.

If only 50% of the mos userbase is ready to get a licence, there will be no interest in developping MOS 2.1 or further updates and that will kill the system for ever.

it's a shame that such a beautiful and promising OS is turning to a small private club.

I don't feel rewarded for buying an Efika 2 years ago. I feel abandonned.