All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: F11
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:18 pm 

I am the user of Pegasos II computer.
Last time I tryed to install Fedora 11. My system's CD boot itself in the CDRom driver and never finish. I have no information from the console, just nothing. How can I force the installer to install Fedora 11? Why do not work installers for F7,F9,F10? Only one for Fedora 8 is ok. If anybody knows how to boot new Fedora please to inform me, I wil be gratefull for it.
And next questions - I was able to hear something about 3D drivers for our system, if anyone uses it? Where could I find that drivers?

Post subject: Re: F11
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I am the user of Pegasos II computer.
Last time I tryed to install Fedora 11. My system's CD boot itself in the CDRom driver and never finish. I have no information from the console, just nothing. How can I force the installer to install Fedora 11? Why do not work installers for F7,F9,F10? Only one for Fedora 8 is ok. If anybody knows how to boot new Fedora please to inform me, I wil be gratefull for it.
And next questions - I was able to hear something about 3D drivers for our system, if anyone uses it? Where could I find that drivers?
Hi Tomasz,

Have you read the release notes yet? There are some prerequisites for booting from the CD to install and loading kernels.

I haven't gotten around to testing Fedora 11 on the Pegasos yet but with those instructions I am assured it does get there..

Post subject: Re: F11
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:42 pm 

Yes, I have read it. Maybe I overlooked something but it seems that it is some fault in the ppc32.img. Actually, I use two commands to boot Fedora:
setenv load-base 0x2000000
and
boot cd: /images/netboot/ppc32.img,

when I try to boot system but is no effect. If you have any suggestions, please send me a message.
Tomasz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:52 pm 

ppc32.img will not work for me ether. The only way that I can get it to boot is to copy the /ppc/ppc32/vmlinuz and /ppc/ppc32/ramdisk.image.gz to the boot partition of my harddrive.
edit the boot conf file (yaboot.conf or grub.cfg)
for yaboot
Code:
image=/ppc/ppc32/vmlinuz
label=install
initrd=/ppc/ppc32/ramdisk.image.gz
for grub
Code:
menuentry "Fedora 11 install" {
set root=(ide,10)
linux /ppc/ppc32/vmlinuz
initrd /ppc/ppc32/ramdisk.image.gz
}
It boots fine but their is an error in anaconda "Unsupported PPC Platform" and the installer shutsdown.

There is an bug in the installer program (anaconda).
I also tried doing the preupgrade but the same thing happened.

nels

Post subject: F11
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:06 pm 

I really do not know, how many of us use Fedora and Pegasos but maybe someone will fix this installing, irritable bug.
It would save our time and encourage new people to become users of it.