All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Kernel for imx smartbook
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:10 pm 

I would like to try to compile the kernel is order to add some driver in it and play a little bit with it.

I found there are quite some branch in : http://gitorious.org/efikamx/linux-kernel

master
bsp-10.07.11,efikamx-10.07.11,efikamx-20110217,efikasb-10.07.11,efikasb-10.08.00,efikasb-10.08.00-bfs, merge-10.07.11, playground-lu

what are the difference between each ? which one is the official used in ubuntu image ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:37 pm 
Genesi

Hi,

The master branch is the one you are looking for. You can pretty much ignore the others.

Johan.

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:06 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi,

The master branch is the one you are looking for. You can pretty much ignore the others.

Johan.
I'm going to roll a tarball of the final revision (as .26) with debs for the final kernel release on the package repo since people keep asking for this..

I'm still figuring out the package repository though.. something is definitely not right here and my notebook is rather sparse on what I was doing that made it work :)

We're definitely going to move the repo to another domain at some point (for a clean break) and do it in a different way though..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:11 am 

I installed the september image, uncompress /proc/config.gz config file to .config then make.
In /arch/arm/boot/compressed i got what looks like a compressed vmlinux. How can i used it or what is the best way to test it ? I'm more familiar with lilo or grub...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:27 am 
Genesi

Hi,
Quote:
I installed the september image, uncompress /proc/config.gz config file to .config then make.
In /arch/arm/boot/compressed i got what looks like a compressed vmlinux. How can i used it or what is the best way to test it ? I'm more familiar with lilo or grub...
First, you need a uImage, you can get that by running 'make uImage'.

The UBoot bootloader gets its parameters from the boot.scr file in /boot. You can make a copy of this script, and delete the top two line (or start a new file). The contents should look like this:
Code:
setenv ramdisk uInitrd-2.6.31.14.24-efikamx;
setenv kernel uImage-2.6.31.14.24-efikamx;
setenv bootargs console=tty1 root=/dev/sda2 rootwait rw quiet splash;
${loadcmd} ${ramdiskaddr} ${ramdisk};
if imi ${ramdiskaddr}; then; else
setenv bootargs ${bootargs} noinitrd;
setenv ramdiskaddr "";
fi;
${loadcmd} ${kerneladdr} ${kernel}
if imi ${kerneladdr}; then
bootm ${kerneladdr} ${ramdiskaddr}
fi;
Let's say I called this script myboot.script, you can then generate the boot.scr with:
Code:
mkimage -A arm -O linux -a 0 -e 0 -T script -C none -n "EfikaMX Boot Script" -d myboot.script boot.scr

You might want to make a backup of the original boot.scr first, just in case.
Ubuntu uses an initrd, that's why there is a 'ramdisk' defined. You can leave that undifined if your kernel has all the needed modules built in.

A reboot should get you into your new kernel. Don't forget to copy your kernel modules across!
Should things not work out, you can recover by using the SD installer card. Saying 'n' when asked to re-image the system will drop you to a command line interface (user:oem, pass:oem) from where you can mount your internal flash disk and use the backed-up script to get you a working system again. If all else fails, you can re-image your system with the SD card.

EDIT:

If you're working on a Debian system or derivative (or just to know more), have a look at: http://wiki.debian.org/EfikaMX

Johan.

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:16 pm 

Thanks a lot, it's working. I've updated a driver for my USB Ethernet dongle and it's recognized and working well.