All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:58 am 

Hi,
I'm not a good linux user and I dont use a lot my Ubuntu 7.10 - Gutsy Gibbon installed on my pegasos, but last days I had an obcession : upgrading my Ubuntu installation.
The big problem is my skills on linux world and I need your help.
Here are a few questions:

1-Ubuntu tells me I have a 84 Updates available to do. there's a new kernel on this updates. If I do all updates, will my Pegasos continues to run Ubuntu without problems? Do I need a special kernel or can I accept the upgrade?

2-If I dont have to Upgrade automaticaly my Ubuntu because not compatible kernel, which packages are to be deselected if I whant Upgrade other software without system?

3-Maybe there's a new Ubuntu version faster a better than buntu 7.10 - Gutsy Gibbon. I know some people tryed to install newer versions but I dont saw any succesfull install with all url paths for iso, Special pegasos kerenl...

4-Maybe there's another linux distribution better than Ubuntu and easy to install. If this is correct, I would like to know which one ;-)

Thank you very much for your help.
Serge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:20 pm 

Hi Serge - just joined the forum today - so I'm not an expert. ;)

But I saw your post, and I've some experience with UNIX/Linux plus a few years with Ubuntu on X86 - but not on PPC.

My feeling would be that if 7.10 (Gutsy) is still working, it's safer to leave it alone. It reached end of life nearly 3 years ago, so I'm surprised if the repository is still offering updates - which repo is it using?

Upgrades to the next version (8.04) were a bit problematic on 7.10, iirc. Ours crashed, had to revert to backups. So I would not risk doing that. An upgrade to an even later version is even less likely to succeed, imho.

So if it ain't broke, better not to risk it. :wink: