All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:40 am 

I'm having problems installing Ubuntu 8.10 on my Peg II. I have downloaded the PPC 8.10 alternative distro from several websites but the CD I create from any of the downloads does not appear to be recognised when I attempt to install Ubuntu. I can read the CD in OF but I need to install from it as there are no online Ubuntu PPC repositories to effect the installation. I've noted a few people have managed to install 8.10 on their Peg II and would be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks,

TrevorD

Note: I am able to successfully install Ubuntu 7.04 using the process described in the Pegasos book (v2.3) but would like to install the later release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:14 am 

If network installation is an option for you, then please follow this topic:

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/vi ... php?t=1632

I hope, it still works, as sometimes my installer / boot kernel broke after a few months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:55 pm 

Quote:
If network installation is an option for you, then please follow this topic:I hope, it still works, as sometimes my installer / boot kernel broke after a few months.
Unfortunately, that's my problem. I used the files from your original posting to attempt the installation. I can use Network installation up to a point. The base system appears to install OK until I get to the section during the installation where I need to select my preferred desktop option (eg desktop, xubuntu kbuntu, server, etc). No matter what option I choose the installation always reports the error that files are not available. Are their any online repositories that have these files or is it possible to finish the installation process then download the necessary files elsewhere?

Thanks,

TrevorD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:20 am 

Hello,

I recently installed ubuntu 8.10 on my peg2 without problems. As I wrote about ubuntu 8.04 I had to open an incoming port of my router otherwise nothing happened after tasksel step.

Which repository did you choose TrevorDick ? You can only use ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ from united kingdom, no other ports are available for other countries.

I am not able to install various software due to dependancies problems. I do not know how to solve them. I also have some problems with nautilus when I try to open home or desktop from menu.

Brumiga

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:19 am 

@Brumiga

Thanks for the tip. I'm travelling away from home this week. I will try the UK repository on my return.

Trevor