All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: hardy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:34 am 

As I still get many downloads for the different Ubuntu installers and kernels I created, I decided to give 8.04 (Hardy, but I hate code names...) a try. So far I'm installing it on Pegasos. KDE4 failed to install due to missing packages, and while tasksel lists a couple of interesting selections, graphics, sound and video editing selections are simply missing, so I'm installing a simple SSH server + Xubuntu selection.

All I can hope, that this is not yet the release, just an RC :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:26 am 

Ubuntu 8.04 is now released officially, but I still don't know if I got a final or just an RC of it. I installed it on the Pegasos, an then compiled an installer for the EFIKA, as my bugreport was not considered about adding EFIKA Ethernet driver to the network installer. All I changed compared to /boot/config is correcting the version string and enabling features needed to compile in EFIKA Ethernet support into the kernel.

Sound is not supported, I'll add it as soon as I'm sure, that I'm dealing with the final release. I hope, it will work, as I have patches for 2.6.22 and 2.6.25, and Ubuntu uses 2.6.24 :)

I'm currently dealing with http://ports.ubuntu.com/dists/hardy/mai ... c/netboot/

Tested KDE4 yesterday on Pegasos, it seems to work. It is somewhere in a stage where KDE4 in openSUSE factory about two months ago. It is all basic KDE 4.0, with default themes, no Ubuntu applets & co. BTW: XFCE on the EFIKA is quite useful for the same reasons: Ubuntu software management utilities do not start automagically making the whole system a lot faster and responsive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:59 am 

It seems to me, that the above mentioned install is the final version for Hardy. Sadly include/asm-powerpc/mpc52xx_psc.h changed too much between 2.6.24 (which is used in Ubuntu) and 2.6.25 (for which a working sound driver patch exists). This means, that I could not even compile the kernel with sound enabled, not to mention get sound working.

If there is anybody still interested, I'll publish an installer and boot kernel next week. I really don't know, what 1st of May is about, but at least it is a public holiday together with Friday to make a long weekend. So, have a nice weekend!

Ps: before weekend starts, I'll check out openSUSE 11.0 factory, which has a working sound :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:17 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
It seems to me, that the above mentioned install is the final version for Hardy. Sadly include/asm-powerpc/mpc52xx_psc.h changed too much between 2.6.24 (which is used in Ubuntu) and 2.6.25 (for which a working sound driver patch exists).
Peter I fixed that file for you and it was in the patch for AC97...

Edit: okay, 2.6.24 needs a small backport of the LATEST driver to un-split the PSC Control and FIFO registers. I doubt it is more than 20 lines of code but since we're not really concerned with Ubuntu or 2.6.24 right now, I am opening this up to the floor..

If anyone would like to take on the challenge of backporting the latest audio driver patch to 2.6.24 just know it's a few missing defines (you will see them at the top of the patch) and you simply have to use the mpc52xx_psc structure instead of that *and* the mpc52xx_psc_fifo structure. There are only two functions which use the explicit fifo structure anyway and a few lines which set it up which are no longer needed.

If anyone needs any help just bug me personally or on the forum. My Efika is busy right now so I can't just reboot it to test a kernel or crash it with a mistake in a new module (or boot into a 2.6.24 kernel for that matter)..