All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:27 pm 

Quote:
Well, if I understand the techs you could be able to run 2 operating systems at the same time.
So MorphOS on one core and maybe Linux in the other core.
I just miss a Desktop board for user who need more power especially if want to use Linux too.
EFIKA is no replacement for the Pegasos. Maybe there will follow something different, maybe MorphOS ain't that good as expected. We will see.
As long as one OS has no protected memmory management that is just not possible - or just put it into a Virtual Maschine and let that VM be hosted by the other OS.
The both cores of the 8641D share the same RAM. MOS doesn't know which parts of RAM are already in use and are nogo to write/move or so. MOS would just write/move and that would be just desasterous!
MOS needs a lot to new things (maybe the mysterious "Q" ;-) would bring it (I know Q is even more vapour than Hurd* or 1.5**)***) to work on multicore evrironements without the need of a VM.

--
* I know incarnations of Hurd are existing meanwhile
** I know that 1.5 is renamed to 2.0 now and will come this summer
*** I also know that Q is a nice idea, but not a matured one yet.

edit: wording/spelling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:50 pm 
Hi !
Quote:
As long as one OS has no protected memmory management that is just not possible - or just put it into a Virtual Maschine and let that VM be hosted by the other OS.
Well, why not ? A VM could be nice too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:08 am 

I find Neko's comment "It's a shared-memory OS with barely any chance of real SMP support" quite sad, effectively rendering MorphOS as something ridiculous. I can imagine how are relations between Genesi and MorphOS Team, no matter how brilliant BBRV pretends it to be in their blog.
Next, a new desktop computer is completely blown out of scene, even for the long term. After ruling out MorphOS (Genesi's initial software), now you are ruling out Linux, which is something nobody dares to do, ever! Genesi's product NOW is smaller than BEFORE, something very hard to explain if you want to look like a growing company. OK, sales should be bigger.
Now, back to the geeky tech part:

"The both cores of the 8641D share the same RAM. MorphOS doesn't know which parts of RAM are already in use"

I think that some things have been said here, without any MorphOS Team core member being present. I think MorphOS is not that simple and dumb as explained. It's true that it's based in a modern microkernel, but it happens that all it's software is Amiga based.

"MOS needs a lot to new things"

Or, perhaps, not that many. An immediate release would do much better for this system and associated community. It's only a matter of time that it gets abandoned by people, like anything else.

"maybe the mysterious Q"

What is "Q"? You mean "Q-Box"? Quark microkernel does exist, but hey, who cares about the kernel of a system? It's the least important part for the user.

"Q is even more vapour than Hurd or 1.5"

What is "Hurd"?

"1.5 is renamed to 2.0 now and will come this summer"

Wishful thinking here, or do you have some evidence you can share?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:22 am 
Genesi

@jcmarcos

No one from Genesi, and that means neither us nor Matt intends to give any impression other than positive support for MorphOS. We have invested in MorphOS for the EFIKA. We want it to be a great success. Please banish this impression. Thanks!

R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:43 am 

Quote:
"maybe the mysterious Q"

What is "Q"? You mean "Q-Box"? Quark microkernel does exist, but hey, who cares about the kernel of a system? It's the least important part for the user.
"Q" or the Q environment was said to be the ensemble ofteh Quark kernel and teh QBox. But this is more or less theory.
Quote:
"Q is even more vapour than Hurd or 1.5"

What is "Hurd"?
Never heard of Hurd???

http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd.html

Hurd was announced for years and years and years and never arrived (there are versions available now).
Quote:
"1.5 is renamed to 2.0 now and will come this summer"

Wishful thinking here, or do you have some evidence you can share?
Just count those little snipplets of information together and you will see that the next version of MOS will be released soon. I am quite conservative with giving estimations usually, but I am quite sure that we will see a MorphOS release this summer (summer = more or less now to ~October).