All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: SDTV
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:11 pm 

So, imperator is installed with FC6, no X.

I don't have a fancy HDTV.

Will X function on an SDTV or will I risk damaging it if I try?

I have never been "close" with X, I always do command line Linux/UNIX. It seems there is probably a refresh setting I can use that would let me run X on the PS3 to an SDTV.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:25 am 

im assuming it wouldnt matter, just the resolution would be much lower. If I'm not mistaken isnt there a DVI cable available for the PS3 somewhere

Post subject: HDMI
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:30 am 

Yes, the PS3 will take an HDMI cable, but I don't have equipment that I can use it with! ;)

I don't believe I'll be able to make the jump to HDTV for a while.

I think what I may do is just get X installed and use remote clients from another machine.

Post subject: Re: HDMI
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:19 pm 

Quote:
Yes, the PS3 will take an HDMI cable, but I don't have equipment that I can use it with! ;)

I don't believe I'll be able to make the jump to HDTV for a while.

I think what I may do is just get X installed and use remote clients from another machine.
perhaps you might be better with a HDMI to VGA adaptor such as this ?, assuming you have a VGA that can display to the size you want to use
http://sewelldirect.com/hdmitodviemtofadaptor.asp

Post subject: HDMI to DVI
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:28 pm 

Yeah, I've got a nice big monitor (though I think it only goes to 720p) that I've thought about carting downstairs to play with....it's just...so....big...and heavy ;)

Have a good one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:06 pm 

From reports that I've heard: hdmi to dvi doesnt work with the SonyOS included as standard but im not quite sure about linux distros built for the PS3

Post subject: bummer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:20 pm 

My original desire to hook up the monitor was for gaming, too. Lame if it won't work. It'll be a few days before I am able to test, though.

Will let you know if I can make it happen.

Post subject: When you first set it up
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:22 pm 

Even tho you might have nice and shiny HDMI you've gotta hook up the componsit 480i route first. Then from the gameos you can setup the ps3 to use hdmi.

From linux we are able to drive at 720 or 1080 resolutions. Take great care that you LCD screen can actually do it! Alas my 213T samsungs can't. (grumble, grumble)

So I've got mine hooked upstairs to the tv and I ssh. Quite a pain. :-/

Regards,

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:00 am 

Quote:
From reports that I've heard: hdmi to dvi doesn't work with the SonyOS included as standard but im not quite sure about linux distros built for the PS3

On my Sceptre X20G Naga III, the HDMI to DVI results in the famous PS3 black-screen,...

I found an alternate and more versatile solution, which I am now using with HDMI->DVI->hdfury->15pin
http://www.hdfury.com/

*however*
Sceptre and B&H Photo Video claim a component to DVI will work
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... DVI_A.html

Last edited by DethKnight on Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:04 am 

In case of using hdmi2dvi cable monitor will be HDCP compatible. It is drm/blabla solution for protect hd content from piracy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:35 pm 

HDMI to VGA adapter won't work unless your monitor has built-in HDCP support...I have the same problem since I want to hook up my ps3 to my monitor for using linux+hd gaming. What you need is something like this if your monitor does not have HDCP support:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-de- ... -245o.html

I ordered one, and from the reviews I've seen, it seems to be a reliable product. From what I've read, XCM seems to be a productive group in the mod-scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:35 pm 

Update on that product. Just got mine in a few days ago. It works well for using it with Linux, clear picture and everything. However, using it with the GameOS on my monitor results in some jumping horizontal purples bars. I believe its b/c my monitor doesn't support the refresh rate the ps3 in GameOS is outputting well (59.8Hz) but works fine when under linux b/c linux is setting the refresh rate to be 60Hz precisely.

Just an FYI if any of you decide to use it for your monitor also. Also, it uses component video instead of hdmi, but from what I've read the signal being sent from component is the similar to hdmi.