All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Altivec Ciphers
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:47 am 

I just noticed that there is an mmx optimised AES routine in the kernel.org code, is there somewhere where someone has done Altivec optimised ciphers for the kernel? i could see this as bieng very hand in VPN routers and other such crypto things (encrypted drive)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:43 am 
Genesi

Hi.

I know that libmcrypt should have AltiVec optimisation at some point, but I did not follow progress here due to lack of time.

Altivec optimised OpenSSL features are in the Common Data Security Architecture (CDSA), and is part of Darwin. One could rewrite mod_ssl for Apache to take advantage of this, but I don't know if it would be easy to get this into Linux. Maybe this can help?

I haven't been keeping myself up-to-date in this area regarding Linux, thanks for reminding me to do so. :-)
I did program an ECC crypto system on an 8-bitter a while ago, but I don't think that'll help here...

Best regards,
Johan

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:00 am 

I recently tried to implement various cipher using AltiVec and normaly you and up at a point where you have to use the value of an AltiVec register as offset to a lookuptable lager than those implementable with vperm.

But there are some ciphers that are nearly perfectly suited for AltiVec like Salsa20. Matthijs van Duin's implentation achieved a througput of more than one byte per 5 cycles on a ppc7410 and ppc7447 messured with the ECRYPT test framework.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:33 am 

you may use multiple perm to get a bigger lookup table

lu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:33 pm 

have you ever tried to store e.g. 4 8x32 sboxes in 32 128bit regs?^^ scnr