Genesi

Have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1oQVh5cjng

Nice work Michal!

R&B

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:22 am 

Quote:
Thanks for posting the link!

Short description of the video. I did it yesterday with an very very ancient version of Ubuntu on TO2 EfikaMX nettop hardware. I had the screen resolution of 1440x900 with old and rather slow version of framebuffer-based X11. This is the reason of slow icon and window redrawing - sorry for that!

I've started ARM nightly build version of AROS for linux platform, downloaded from www.aros.org, unpacked and started with --fullscreen parameter. You may see how it starts between 0:05 and 0:07 second of the movie - yes, AROS hosted needs full two seconds to start.

Further I've tried several tools on AROS: Clock (0:13), SFSDefrag (0:24), ShowConfig (0:26) which shows that AROS is running on ARMv7 EfikaMX hardware, PCITool (0:32), AROS Install (0:35), HDToolBox (0:39). Since it's a hosted environment, these apps showed nothing usable, as they are meant more for native AROS variants. Nevertheless it was worth to start them, just to show that they look and behave properly - a clean indication that GUI stuff is working as expected, which is not always the case on new CPU ports of AROS.

Further I've started a ScreenGrabber tool (0:42), to make a screenshot of AROS screen. I set up the screenshot delay of two seconds, just in case someone complains the movie of AROS on ARM is fast forwarded ;). After the screenshot was done and saved to RamDisk, I've opened it with Multiview tool (1:05), resized multiview window and scrolled the viewed image a bit in both directions. As you may see it's a bit slow, it's due to the X11 performance of this very old version of linux. New releases of Ubuntu for EfikaMX are much faster here.

At 1:30 I've started the Opaque commodity - as you may see windows with desktop behind can be moved rather quickly. As soon as icons beneath are redrawn, it's slower - blame X11 again :)

1:40 - AboutAROS window is opened (an AROS video without it would be nearly useless) followed by early beta of "task manager" (1:44)

Last experience with AROS - System preferences (1:56) with demostration of changeable mouse pointer (2:06). At 2:41 I shut AROS down and it goes back to my ubuntu.

Further plans regarding AROS for EfikaMX include the Contrib package (140MB of different files, utilities and simple games, including gcc compiler for AROS). Next big stop is AROS native for EfikaMX nettop and smartbook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:07 am 

Go szuler, go!

/me has efikasb waiting for native AROS to remind how AmigaOS was looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:44 am 

Quote:
Go szuler, go!

I hope that you will be on AmiWigilia with Efika MX Smartbook . It will be held on 11 December 2010 in Poznan, Poland at the Meskal Caffe ( http://amiwigilia.ppa.pl/ )
It will be good opportunity to show this new Genesi hardware .
I'm going to Poznan too :)
With my Mac Mini G4 & MorphOS 2.6 ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:19 pm 

Quote:
Go szuler, go!

Why not test the hosted version right now? :) Gimme feedback! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:16 am 

I need to resolve few work related things first. And thats leave me very small amount of time for other hacking.

Post subject: post instructions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:40 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Go szuler, go!

Why not test the hosted version right now? :) Gimme feedback! :)
Could you post a quick guide on which packages/source to fetch and how to test it?

Cheers

Post subject: Re: post instructions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:40 am 

Quote:
Could you post a quick guide on which packages/source to fetch and how to test it?
1. Go to http://aros.sourceforge.net/download.php#nightly-builds
2. Download "linux-arm-system" archive
3. Unpack it and enter the directory
4. run boot/AROSBootstrap

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:52 am 

Played a bit ~2 weeks ago - looked OK. Reminded me old times...

Some windows does not fit in 1024x600px resolution ;( iirc AmigaOS UI guide said "each window has to fit in 640x200".