All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: GPL v3
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:00 pm 
Genesi

Any thoughts? We have been through the OSNews and LWN.net discussions. From a "Power" perspective is there a angle to take on this issue that we could pull into Power.org?

R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:58 am 

wait&see is the best approach in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:44 pm 

Yes... wait and see. FSF and the people objecting must be able to reach a consensus by sitting down and talking. ... they are intelligent people.

My impression is that most of the problem is misunderstandings. The original critique from Linus of the first draft was as far as I can read based on a misunderstanding. The proposal would not give problems with signed binaries.

Anyway... They are right that there are limits to what you can demand w.r.t. "freedom 3" and in general what you can demand in a copyright license.
However... DRM is a problem and it needs to be dealt with. DRM does equal incompatibality and Tivoization is abuse of the GPL.