All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: PowerProjectCenter
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:40 am 
Genesi

The foils suggest the Presentation is "confidential" but they are not. We will change this on the next version. Please have a look:

PowerProjectCenter

Check back again as we will be updating it often in the next couple of weeks. At this point, it is still just a discussion at Power.org, but it is something that Genesi will be doing in any case. We would like to get your feedback.

Sincerely,
Raquel and Bill :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:10 am 

I just read http://www.genesippc.com/files/power.or ... icesVI.pdf and found a slide with very interesting information. It's slide 12, the second point is about conversion (my favorite weapon in Civilization 2000 :-) ) of developers . I just talked to a MS c# developer. I mentioned him, that 'mono', the free implementation of c# runs on Linux and not only on x86 but also on PPC. The guy became very interested, so I need to install 'mono' development utilities on my Peg, and help him to compile some of his applications. C# developers could be an interesting target, as they are highly trained and open minded, at least those, who I know.

CzP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:10 am 
Genesi

Image is nothing, Organisation is everything...

Let me try to create an analogy here.
We (http://robotics.puv.fi) are competing in Robocup (http://www.robocup.org) for the second year. Last year we made third place in the European Open, and this year we are competing in the Worldcup in June.

Building, programming and testing these robots is a multilevel discipline that requires the maximum from mechanics, embedded system design, software engineering and electronics.

In order to manage such a diverse mixture of skills, one needs a strong institution (or person/small group of persons) to manage this.
Last year we had problems directing everything in the right direction, with many overlappings, and too few detailed specifications for our robot requirements. This meant that even though we managed to get the robots working, it was quite a chaotic undertaking. Furthermore, the other departments in the university (like business) were not involved and didn't even know about the project. Let alone external companies...
Well, this year we changed all that. A well defined set of specifications on all levels, involvement of all departments including the business unit to do some marketing, we found sponsors who've really shown a lot of interest in the project and the media knows about it.
The result is that the people involved in the design and implementation of the robot get even more motivated because they can see that their work is giving results.

This can also be applied to the POWER architecture. More people need to know about it, standardisation is very important and the developers have to know their work is appreciated not only within the community, but also outside.

Combine this with a central 'strong institution' like power.org to guide and affirm this stance, POWER will take off like a robot towards the ball :-)

And lets hope that Genesi will succeed, as I hope to get our robots running on POWER by next years World Championchip!

Johan.

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Last edited by PurpleAlien on Mon May 15, 2006 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:40 pm 

this is more than interesting, this is essential. I sincerely hope that Genesi will succeed in joining together all these dispersed resources, the union makes the force and today the POWER union needs a leader, or even better, a guide.

Great project, high hopes, bright future !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:54 pm 
@bbrv : that all sounds good.
Sourceforge example is very strong. It's really the open source website #1.

@czp : C# is really great. That would surelly bring a lot of developers. I don't know much mono (except by name), but use to develop a few apps under MSVC 2003/05 and C#.
I find it better than Java (maybe because it's more C++ alike). That would be also cool to have it under MorphOS :-)

Note : something I really don't like on Power.org is that you have to log in twice to have access to the forum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:55 am 
Genesi

@all

If you are really interested in the PowerProjectCenter that you download this:

You can find it on the upper right of the page linked above. There is plenty of information there that explains what we want to achieve.

Also, please have a look to the Power.org Corporate Members list. That is a pretty impressive list of companies.

Please join as a Developer-Individual Member if you have not already!

Power.org Developer Membership

All together we can assure the growth of the PowerPC based ecosystem.

R&B :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:02 am 

it looks to be a good proposal and should attract a lot of bounty programmers to contribute if payment is offered because quite simply open source developers do not have the resources to abandon their paying jobs to dedicate themselves to a project

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:28 pm 

Quote:
I just talked to a MS c# developer. I mentioned him, that 'mono', the free implementation of c# runs on Linux and not only on x86 but also on PPC. The guy became very interested, so I need to install 'mono' development utilities on my Peg, and help him to compile some of his applications. C# developers could be an interesting target, as they are highly trained and open minded, at least those, who I know.

CzP
C#/mono has some problem and some issues about freedom of implementation and evolution. I'm on my second year of holding off from even trying mono because of it. (not to mention the fact I despise the overcomplex apis in general)

In the other news looks like sun is about to opensource java (will be the right time now?)
and Parrot got another release few days ago.

there is a whole world of alternatives, just spend some time looking at them...

lu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:50 pm 
Genesi

Updated!