All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:34 am 

hi list,

i own a powerbook3,3 (a.k.a. tibook 2) running gentoo linux. when i switched from the 2.4 kernel series to the 2.6 series
i noticed that the fan wouldn't stop running with the 2.6 kernel while with the 2.4 kernel and macos it is hardly
running at all.
while i appreciate the approach of more cooling and thus extending the lifetime of the hardware i'd like
to tweak it a little because once the fan started running it wont stop untill i shutdown or suspend the computer.
also i think with the cpu speed scaled down to 500MHz (as opposed to 550 when running with "full-speed") and a system load of hardly anything there is no reason at all for the computer to get this hot, but for this i think it's apple to take the blame for building such a retarded peace of hardware.

can anyone tell me where to search for fan control code in the kernel because i already tried a search myself but it turned up only acpi-related stuff.

any help is appreciated - thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:57 am 

Quote:
can anyone tell me where to search for fan control code in the kernel because i already tried a search myself but it turned up only acpi-related stuff.
I don't know if I can give you any help, but maybe I can make a lucky guess...

Under Processor, there are options for Thermal Management Support and CPU Frequency Scaling.

There is support for PMU-Based PowerMacs under Device Drivers-->Macintosh Device Drivers. When you enable PMU support, you'll get a new selection for Power Management on PowerBooks. According to the help section in xconfig, you'll have to emerge pmud.

I hope this helps.

--Aaron
Gentoo 2005.0
Kernel: 2.6.12-love1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:37 am 

Quote:
There is support for PMU-Based PowerMacs under Device Drivers-->Macintosh Device Drivers. When you enable PMU support, you'll get a new selection for Power Management on PowerBooks. According to the help section in xconfig, you'll have to emerge pmud.
instead of pmud, which misteriously stopped working sometime after i upgraded to a 2.6 kernel, i use pbbuttonsd which supplies the same functionality but also there i didn't find anything useful. i'm afraid i have to keep searching..