All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:48 pm 

The Wifi included with the Smartbook does not have the reception and range that I need.

Is there a way to use an existing Linux compatible external USB wifi card instead (i.e. RA Link Tech) or is there a Efika distro that already includes support for existing USB wifi's?

I looked into possibly compiling wifi driver source code with Ubuntu, but the EfikaMX build is missing many components needed to compile the driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:28 pm 
Genesi

Hi.

You could compile the driver you need into the kernel (kernel source here: https://github.com/genesi/linux-legacy).

A recommended way to build the driver you need is using compat-wireless. You can read the how-to for that here:

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/vi ... php?t=2100

The link describes the compilation of the driver for the internal wifi module, but you can compile for other compat-wireless supported devices as well.

Johan.

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:23 pm 
Genesi

Which wifi driver are you needing? We include quite a number of wifi drivers, but as Johan mentioned, it's quite easy to build them yourself if needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:21 am 

Actually, It's the rt2x00 driver, and the links given by PurpleAlien are exactly what I needed. Thanks.