All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:06 pm 

Looking at this (http://www.powerdeveloper.org/efika_demo.php) movie i get the impression that even under linux hardware acceleration should be possible. Though is hard te get an impression of the framerate, but it seems smooth enough. What is the fps?

3:48
KDE 3.5 Linux Desktop
Webcam
OpenGL Samples

Now my question is what linux is used and what drivers....????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:51 pm 
Genesi

Hi.

Although I'm not sure about the demo exactly, I guess it is running on a Radeon 9250.
My setup uses the same card and 3D acceleration works fine. I can run Quake 3 and other 3D games on EFIKA. I don't remember the amount of frames per second, but I will test it and post the results as soon as I have time.

Johan

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:18 pm 

you are running quake 3 under linux? Then i must be doing something very wrong. So do tell me your linux and driver version and i can give linux on the efika another try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:37 am 
Genesi

Hi.

I'm running Gentoo, you can find my xorg.conf here:
http://www.cc.puv.fi/~jd/xorg.conf
It's just the "radeon" driver I use.

You should make sure Direct Rendering is enabled, using glxinfo | grep render

Best regards,
Johan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:56 am 

Thank for posting the xorg.conf file. It seems to have some options i have never heard of.

On debian the system states it is dri. But i doubt that. So maybe i try some of the new options. Like the on that loads a module except on part of it. Could be a buggy part that gets loaded on debian and slows down hardware rendering.

Did you manualy tweak the xorg.conf file or is it the gentoo defaults?

Id better get gentoo then as it seems to be more optimized for the efika.

But that confuses me having to set up something like tftp? on another machine or copying files from another machine? Any tips on getting me started on this.

Again thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:33 am 

Quote:
I'm running Gentoo, you can find my xorg.conf here: http://www.cc.puv.fi/~jd/xorg.conf It's just the "radeon" driver I use.
Umm, that xorg.conf file have some settings, which are quite... ummm... strange to me? For example, does it really make any sense to have AGPFastWrite and Bustype PCI option together?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:52 am 

Quote:
Did you manualy tweak the xorg.conf file or is it the gentoo defaults?
It's quite visible that it's manually tweaked. BTW, i've Debian Etch, with 3D running on my Efika, i played GLTron and PPracer, they run with an acceptable speed. I don't know if it could be faster though. Some 3D screensavers are also okayish. In my experience, the key options for having a working and fast DRI on Efika are Option "BusType" "PCI" and Option "EnablePageFlip" "true". Also makes sure that you have Option "UseFBDev" set to "false", or you don't have UseFBDev option at all (comment it out).

Doesn't really make sense to add other options and enabling more stuff explicitly, because according the XOrg documentation (and the log), they're enabled by default anyway. (See this documentation about possible Radeon arguments, if you have doubts.)
Quote:
Id better get gentoo then as it seems to be more optimized for the efika.
I don't think that it makes a huge difference... I would be glad to be proven wrong, though. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:39 am 
Genesi

Quote:
Quote:
I'm running Gentoo, you can find my xorg.conf here: http://www.cc.puv.fi/~jd/xorg.conf It's just the "radeon" driver I use.
Umm, that xorg.conf file have some settings, which are quite... ummm... strange to me? For example, does it really make any sense to have AGPFastWrite and Bustype PCI option together?
Probably does not make sense. I manually changed the xorg.conf to have DRI etc. working. I did not look at the other options, which may or may not be useless. The main thing is that it works :-)
Anyway, I will clean it up a little, otherwise it may lead to confusion...

Johan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:15 am 
I use a RADEON 9250, Linux Gentoo, and 3D hardware acceleration works fine (with Gnome desktop).
I will install xfce or e17 and try Quake...