All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Welcome LabVIEW
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:48 am 
Genesi

We initiate a new Forum today around LabVIEW. Check it out:

LabVIEW

How would you like to use LabView with the EFIKA/Open Client?

Best regards,
R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:48 am 

I started my PhD chemistry lab project on a PC with Labview. Back at the time there was just one measurement equipment to drive. Then came the idea to change to EFIKA and use FreePascal / Lazarus for cross platform development. Now, with eight units of the measurement equipment running in parallel, Pascal starts to show its limits. With LabView Embedded running on EFIKA, it's the best time to return to LabView. Some of the many benefits:
  • * easy, graphical programming
    * a lot more precise timing, than in Pascal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:58 pm 
Genesi

Hi.

The way I want to use LabVIEW is in an attempt to make motor control (e.g., PID) easier for students to analyze and measure.

The idea is to use LabView with in our RoboCup project (http://robotics.puv.fi) and to create an analysis tool to improve the motion control of the robot based on a variety of parameters.

For example, we want to see if we can still have reliable control (at less then optimal performance of course) somehow when the battery is close to being depleted. The robot still moves at this time, but not reliably. With LabVIEW we can see what really goes on at this stage.

The set-up for this testing environment will be based on an EFIKA with custom designed PCI card which allows a multitude of motors to be connected. This whole system is then connected to a LabVIEW application which can do the measurements and analysis. The reason for using the PCI card on the EFIKA and not on a PC is because the future version of the robot will run on an EFIKA derivative. That way, we can use the final platform already today to develop all the software on.

This is only one concrete example I would like to have here at the University. Others include a whole range of process control setups with EFIKA's taking care of measuring sensor data (even in a sensor network), with the LabVIEW software gathering and analyzing this data.
To speed development up, LabVIEW Embedded can be used on the EFIKA to make life a whole lot easier.
There are many areas where a set-up like that would be very useful, and we believe that a co-operation with the companies in our area could get good results and practical implementations.

Johan.

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Last edited by PurpleAlien on Fri May 25, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re:LabVIEW Embedded
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:58 pm 

Thanks for the kind words.

LabVIEW Embedded is being used in lots of applications from medical devices to underwater monitoring systems to digital print kiosks.

I am actually working on adding support for the NI USB-6009 (http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/14603) to the EFIKA so I can add some low cost/high quality analog I/O. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

P.J.
National Instruments

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:05 am 

First of all, thank you for making the EFIKA platform even more fun! And I also have a couple of questions about the LabView EFIKA port:

- Will this driver also work with the 6008 (what I have now over here)?

- Will simple serial port communication be supported? That is what I use now most of the time, a custom device on a serial port.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:55 am 

Hi Peter,

Yes, the port should also work with the NI USB-6008, and I will be sure to test it. I haven't tested the serial port, but it will most likely be supported as well. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!
P.J.