All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Multiple partitions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:16 pm 

I have 2 drives: the first drive has 6 partitions: 4 Amiga partitions (FFS/SFS), Ext2 (/) and swap. The second drive had 4 partitions: 3 Amiga partitions and Ext2 (/local).

Today I split one of the Amiga partitions on the second disk using MorphOS' HDConfig tool. However, I now realise that the new partition table is invalid under Linux because there are too many partitions.

Under SUSE I can only see the first 4 partitions (/dev/hdb1-4). Is there a way I can get SUSE to recognise the last partition ?

It seems to me that all this time SUSE has handled the first disk somehow.

I would really like to get the missing partition back because it is full of data and was too big to back up. As a last resort I can merge the split partition if this stands a chance of working.

Post subject: Re: Multiple partitions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have 2 drives: the first drive has 6 partitions: 4 Amiga partitions (FFS/SFS), Ext2 (/) and swap. The second drive had 4 partitions: 3 Amiga partitions and Ext2 (/local).

Today I split one of the Amiga partitions on the second disk using MorphOS' HDConfig tool. However, I now realise that the new partition table is invalid under Linux because there are too many partitions.

Under SUSE I can only see the first 4 partitions (/dev/hdb1-4). Is there a way I can get SUSE to recognise the last partition ?

It seems to me that all this time SUSE has handled the first disk somehow.

I would really like to get the missing partition back because it is full of data and was too big to back up. As a last resort I can merge the split partition if this stands a chance of working.
The solution is to use Amiga RDB rather than MBR partitioning..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:01 pm 

Hi Matt, thanks for your reply.

I went to HDConfig and it shows that my second drive is RDB already.

I went to YAST to try to get it to reload the partition table but I can't find how to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi Matt, thanks for your reply.

I went to HDConfig and it shows that my second drive is RDB already.

I went to YAST to try to get it to reload the partition table but I can't find how to do that.
Is there a tool around called "partprobe"? It's part of parted. It will reload the partition table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:19 pm 

Right, thank you, problem solved now.

I didn't quite understand how all of these things were working and was rather nervous about messing around too much with partitioners.

I guess that in some previous set up SUSE wasn't using RDB for my second disk. I can't remember how I set up the partitions, I may have done it all from MorphOS 1.4.5.

After seeing what partprobe could see I went back to MorphOS HDConfig and the Ext2 partition was missing from the table. So now that I am definitely using RDB but there was no entry for that partition. I went ahead and created it as a Linux partition and now SUSE can see it too.

I can stop sweating about it now :)