All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:31 pm 

where can i download the powerpc iso for opensuse 10.3

Following the opensuse website leads me to an not existing iso.

Using the net install i do not know what to enter for where it should download the packages from.

I prefer to download the iso so i can install it without network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
where can i download the powerpc iso for opensuse 10.3

Following the opensuse website leads me to an not existing iso.

Using the net install i do not know what to enter for where it should download the packages from.

I prefer to download the iso so i can install it without network.
There's a DVD ISO and that's your lot due to the way the thing is built for PPC (KIWI hasn't been worked on for PPC yet).

Just go to www.opensuse.org and click Get It, click the PowerPC radio button on the top right and click a link to the torrent.

If the DVD does not "exist" then your mirror has gotten rid of it for some reason, it's based on your location in the world. Keep hammering this URL until it picks a mirror you like, if you want to spend a couple of hours downloading a 4GB file.

Torrents are where it's at, though, you don't have to rely on a mirror and there are plenty of seeders.

For the network install, the package locations should be easily selectable from the user interface; at least the Main and Non-OSS package trees at opensuse.org should be built in (however they may be very very slow since there is no automatic mirroring).

You can find the official mirror list here and the instructions for which directory you're using etc. is here

As usual with wikis the information is practically useless, and you'll have to do some simple tweaking yourself to get the right mirror URL and directory combination. I'd suggest using Germany simply because it's European and it works;
Code:
Mirror Type = HTTP
Mirror URL = ftp5.gwdg.de
Directory = /pub/opensuse/distribution/10.3/repo/oss/
(non-oss, src-oss, src-non-oss and debug are all in there for later in the distribution install, and you should add an Update source which is the same thing, but instead of "/pub/opensuse/distribution/10.3/repo/oss" use the URL "/pub/opensuse/update/10.3/repodata" or maybe it's /pub/opensuse/update/10.3/ alone - who knows :D

This is one feature I much prefer on FreeBSD and Gentoo etc. than any other Linux, they provide a standard mirrors list of package repositories, and tools to find out which is the fastest for you and the correct positioning of URLs and repo snapshots is always given to you by these handy tools..

Perhaps this is something to fix YaST for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:58 am 

At installation and work with OpenSuse 10.3 following problems and ways of their decision have come to light.

The installer by default does not load usb module - usb-storage therefore we cannot make an installation with usb flash or as at me, with dvd drive, connected through the controller to usb. It is necessary to load the given module. For this purpose do the following -> 3) Kernel Modules -> 2) Load USB Modules -> 3) usb-storage
Further -> 8) Add Driver Update and we find the device in the list of supported.

Why in the Sound in Yast2 at the loaded module for Efika is not present anything?

Quality of a sound simply awful. At attempt to play something I receive any gnash instead of a sound.

As the optimal variant from window managers I consider BlackBox. High speed of work, good opportunities and attractive appearance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:57 am 

Quote:
Why in the Sound in Yast2 at the loaded module for Efika is not present anything?
The used sound module does not provide some information, which is needed by yast2/hwinfo
Quote:
Quality of a sound simply awful. At attempt to play something I receive any gnash instead of a sound.
Sound has some troubles, when the HDD is working heavily, but for the rest, it works nicely. Other way I could not use it in this setup: http://www.mkk.szie.hu/~czanik/efika_hifi.jpg :-)

Somebody mentioned, that the sound driver is compiled with full debug output, which could cause problems. I recompiled it without it, but I can't feel the difference.

High and low sounds are pretty much cut off, but that is nothing kernel or openSUSE related, as one should not expect the same sound from a $99 board as from a $99 sound card...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:34 am 
Genesi

Nice picture Peter!

R&B :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:10 am 

I should make another picture :-) There were some upgrades from the previous version:

- not really visible: openSUSE 10.2 -> openSUSE 10.3
- 10m (33feet) Ethernet cable replaced by USB wireless
- 3.5" external HDD is replaced by 2.5" external HDD, power consumption went down to 1/5, noise almost completely gone, capacity grew by 50% ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:37 am 

For anybody running on openSUSE 10.3: the last couple of weeks brought many security and version upgrades (the later only in Packman). Last week I had troubles with upgrading but now everything seems to work all right, so anybody is advised to upgrade.

To upgrade, run the following as root:

First, make sure, that 64bit packages are not loaded, to work around a bug in zypper. Add the following lines to /etc/zypp/locks:
Code:
*64bit*
*ppc64*
Remove any 64bit packages left over:
Code:
rpm -e itrace
rpm -qa | grep 64bit | xargs rpm -e --nodeps --force --noscripts
rpm -qa | grep ppc64 | xargs rpm -e --nodeps --force --noscripts
Then execute the following commands:
Code:
zypper -v up
zypper -v up -t package
cd /boot/
mkzimage --vmlinux vmlinux --initrd initrd --output efika
The first command downloads / installs openSuSE patches, the second one does the same for Packman (which does not provide diffs, just complete packages).
As the kernel is upgraded, the last command is also necessary, this creates a new boot kernel.

At the end: reboot