All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:37 am 

I have an Efika Smartbook MX that I bought for a particular purpose. It requires Java and none of the Java Knockoffs seem to work. This is true of NX client too. The "compatible" version does not fit the application I need.

I think that the chip set of the Smartbook is using a leaner ubuntu version for speed reasons, which I understand. However, I simply need the Smartbook where I have a web connection and will run a cloud desktop when I use it almost exclusively. Slower would actually be OK as my use gets the speed from the server/network end.

I have seen on the forums that I might update the ubuntu and I would lose some speed and some device controls (I think).

What are my options to get the Sun Java and NX Clients to work. I am not aware of any substitute software that actually works the way my application seems to require.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:27 am 
Genesi

Hi.

Java should be available through the standard package repository on your system.

I don't think the official NX client supports ARM. I have used OpenNX before together with the official NX server software (see "NX client for Efika MX" entry here):
http://projects.powerdeveloper.org/project/imx515/731 with very good results. You did not specify what your exact requirements were for your specific application, and why this would not work.

Johan.

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject: OpenNX
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:58 am 

Hi Johan,

Open NX looks promising. I will try that. I had issues with the Java working from any repository. I wonder if I hosed something up in hacking around.

What is the best route to a fresh install and starting over before I do the OpenNX. Then I can try Java again.

Thanks a lot,

Love the lean and mean Smartbook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:27 am 
Genesi

Hi.

To re-install with a clean Ubuntu, Debian, or other, look here:

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/platforms/efikamx/linux

These are SD card images which will automatically boot when written to SD card and inserted into the SD slot before powering on. They the allow you to re-install the system.

Johan.

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet