All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:57 pm 

I have found some large applications that I would like to run using the SmartTop that could not fit in the space on the internal drive. What is the best way to handle this? I'm sure it can be done someway.

Science, n. Investigation of natural phenomena.
Engineering, n. Domestication of natural phenomena.
Technology, n. Domesticated natural phenomena.

--

\"It is essential for automatic computation that, instead of containing every single instruction necessary to carry out the program, the coded program include methods for generating instructions which are needed to carry out the program. ... One measure of the extent to which an automatic digital computer is used effectively is given by the ratio of the number of instructions formed in the machine to that of the instructions inserted into the machine initially.\" Mathematical Machines Volume I Digital Computers ©1961 Francis J. Murray

If so, then why is this ratio zero on most modern computer software?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:49 pm 

It may help us to know exactly what you mean by large. Is the issue only disk storage? Is RAM going to be a limiting factor as well?

You can use external storage via USB disk or SD/MMC. I think you can get SD cards with 32MiB for a reasonable sum. You could also mount disk remotely using either NFS or CIFS. These options are good if the throughput to your application's data isn't expected to be the bottleneck.

HTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:33 pm 
Genesi

Beewoolie has pretty much nailed it. I'm really curious though what applications you are wanting to use/run that require so much space.

I use Gentoo on my smartbook, and I have an external usb hard drive that I mount for things like /usr/portage /var/tmp/portage and so forth.

As long as the mounted drive is somewhere in your path, you can mount it wherever you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:30 pm 

Not sure what I was looking at anymore. A few weeks back I was scanning applications for ones I might like to install and thought I saw a couple with installed size over 1GB. I tried to locate them again, but the largest I could find was only about 200MB. Must have made a mistake somewhere.

Science, n. Investigation of natural phenomena.
Engineering, n. Domestication of natural phenomena.
Technology, n. Domesticated natural phenomena.

--

\"It is essential for automatic computation that, instead of containing every single instruction necessary to carry out the program, the coded program include methods for generating instructions which are needed to carry out the program. ... One measure of the extent to which an automatic digital computer is used effectively is given by the ratio of the number of instructions formed in the machine to that of the instructions inserted into the machine initially.\" Mathematical Machines Volume I Digital Computers ©1961 Francis J. Murray

If so, then why is this ratio zero on most modern computer software?