All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:02 pm 

Just spent a bit more than a day trying to get one of the ubuntu-desktop builds over at linaro to work on my efikamx smartbook. Tried both methods, i.e. dd-ing an image to an 8Gb SD card (that otherwise works fine for flashing stock firmware builds), as well as using linaro-media-create to try and generate my own image. Here's what I've found out so far:

- efikamx-*-*.img files won't boot. Screen stays black with the power button LED on solid as well as the caps-lock LED on the left. (DIP switches flipped for SD boot of course).
- efikasb-*-*.img files are suspiciously small compared to all the other images and will produce the same result as when there's no boot medium inserted at all. (Power button led blinking). May not be too surprising, considering that dd-ing one of the efikasb images to an SD-card will only create a partitioned but otherwise basically empty system.
- as for creating my own image if I select efikasb for board type I always get stuck at the error message below, both for milestone and for daily builds (board type efikamx produces a non booting image, same as when using dd and a efikamx-*-*.img file):

Code:
Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (32768 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 31 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/linaro-media-create", line 161, in <module>
args.is_live, args.is_lowmem, args.consoles)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/linaro_image_tools/media_create/boards.py", line 488, in populate_boot
rootfs_uuid, boot_disk, boot_device_or_file)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/contextlib.py", line 34, in __exit__
self.gen.throw(type, value, traceback)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/linaro_image_tools/media_create/partitions.py", line 195, in partition_mounted
yield
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/linaro_image_tools/media_create/boards.py", line 488, in populate_boot
rootfs_uuid, boot_disk, boot_device_or_file)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/linaro_image_tools/media_create/boards.py", line 447, in make_boot_files
boot_device_or_file, k_img_data, i_img_data, d_img_data)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/linaro_image_tools/media_create/boards.py", line 903, in _make_boot_files
cls.LOADER_MIN_SIZE_S)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/linaro_image_tools/media_create/boards.py", line 1262, in install_mx5_boot_loader
assert os.path.getsize(imx_file) <= max_size, (
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/genericpath.py", line 49, in getsize
return os.stat(filename).st_size
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/tmp/tmp4uMhAw/binary/usr/lib/u-boot/efikasb/u-boot.imx'

My understanding is that the linaro images - though unsupported - are there to play around with. (Why else all the effort of creating daily builds and all). I'm totally running out of ideas though how to get the game started. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:19 pm 
Genesi

Hi Mavrix,

The images over at Linaro are, as you said, not officially supported. They are there mostly for development purposes, and you won't get far with them at this stage without a debug interface (to get an early serial console). Keep in mind that the images are auto-generated and not tested at all.

We are working with Linaro on many different fronts, such as our HardFP effort, and more. The goal will be to eventually support the Linaro kernel and merge our kernel changes. At this point however, to get a fully up and running kernel, our kernel patches are needed which for various technical and legal issues are not yet in the Linaro tree.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We will also find out if we can help you out further; all our developers are working very hard on the next software releases, but we'll do our best to support you.

Best regards,
Johan

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:46 am 

Hi Johan,

thanks for your quick and informative response.
The reason I originally started looking for more recent builds - especially kernelwise - was that I didn't get very lucky in my attempts to get my easycap video grabber to work on the efikamx smartbook. There's a driver available for it (EasyCAP DC60 Driver at sourceforge; still beta itself but apparently working fine for most people) but its installation fails with an error message like the one below. Tried it for both of the more recent official efikamx releases; the 20110722 build produces a similar error.
Then I learned that the video part of the driver was already included in more recent kernels, which I verified by plugging the easycap into my x86 based laptop that has Debian with a more current kernel build installed where it did work right off the bat. So then of course I was quite excited when I came across the linaro images featuring even oneiric test builds. Guess I'll have to exercise patience for another while. Looking forward to your next releases all the more. Keep up the good work!

Mavrix

Code:
kernel directory is /lib/modules/2.6.31.14.22-efikamx/build
snd_card_new() will not be used
snd_card_create() will not be used either
In file included from /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.14.22-efikamx/arch/arm/include/asm/page.h:197,
from include/linux/mmzone.h:20,
from include/linux/gfp.h:4,
from include/linux/kmod.h:22,
from include/linux/module.h:13,
from /home/mavrix/Downloads/easycap_dc60.0.9/tmpsrc/tmp.c:1:
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31.14.22-efikamx/arch/arm/include/asm/memory.h:18: fatal error: mach/memory.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[3]: *** [/home/mavrix/Downloads/easycap_dc60.0.9/tmpsrc/tmp.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/home/mavrix/Downloads/easycap_dc60.0.9/tmpsrc] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [build] Error 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:15 pm 
Genesi

Hi Mavrix.

That compiler error you got we've seen in the past. The reason for this is a missing directory in the sources package (it's a known bug in Ubuntu).
Just get and symlink/copy the /arch/arm/plat-mxc/include/mach directory from the Git repo to your headers under a mach/ directory. After that, compilation should work fine.

Best regards,
Johan

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:01 pm 

Wow. If only all problems could be solved that easily. Thanks for the tip. Two thumbs up for Genesi customer support!

Cheers,
Mavrix