All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:37 pm 

Is there a way to get Ubuntu Server for the Smarttop? I'm thinking I could probably convert it through some apt process but it would be nice to fresh install Ubuntu Server on it.

Also, is there a way to force the resolution it does? The two things I have to plug it up to make it want to do 1080p but that seems to make it quite slow. Am I alone in this?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:15 pm 
Genesi

Hi, sorry I missed this question earlier...

You can do something similar to what we do which is use rootstock to create a rootfs tarball. Then you need to do all the other steps of it.

As for forcing the resolution, you will need to add siihdmi.teneighty=0 to the boot script file, and then compile it again. You can read the Debian wiki for information on this.

http://wiki.debian.org/EfikaMX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:53 am 

In my opinion, putting the server edition into the Smarttop would turn it into a nice product, as much as putting android into the smartbook.
A Smarttop cries for being a low power server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:59 am 

I fully agree. It works perfectly, and used my old TO2 smarttop that way for a few months. I can't use it this way at my current location: setting the MAC address for USB Ethernet does not seem to work reliably, and my current Internet provider uses MAC based DHCP and filtering. But this is not a SmartTop problem, it seems to be generic...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi, sorry I missed this question earlier...

You can do something similar to what we do which is use rootstock to create a rootfs tarball. Then you need to do all the other steps of it.

As for forcing the resolution, you will need to add siihdmi.teneighty=0 to the boot script file, and then compile it again.
If you're using our Ubuntu and our flash-kernel you can do:
Code:
sudo flash-kernel `uname -r`
And it will regenerate everything you need in /boot.

By far the best way to get an Ubuntu Server is to take the SD card installer and make a tarball of the content from another system. Mount the second partition as the target and mount the first partition as boot inside..

The best way to proceed is to rsync it to another box (make sure you specify --numeric-ids) and then delete the contents of /etc/rc.local between the first comment block and "exit 0" (the exit 0 is important). Delete the contents of the /home/oem directory that you can see (scripts, and the desktop tarball). Edit /etc/fstab such that it points to /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2.

Then you can tar that directory. Make sure you specify "--numeric-owner" to tar.

Now make another copy of the SD card installer and replace the tarball with your own. Booting from this new installer card will install an Ubuntu Standard installation.

Then just add the packages.efikamx.info repository, pull flash-kernel, and whatever else you want, and "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get install ubuntu-server" or something similar.

There is also another option to the SII9022 driver - "sii9022.seventwenty=0" which will turn off looking for a fixed 1280x720 mode too. With teneighty and seventwenty modes turned off, it will try for the panel native resolution..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:53 am 

How or where do you set "sii9022.seventwenty=0? I know with GRUB, you could pass parameters to the kernel, but I'm not as familiar with u-boot or this system yet.