All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:36 am 

Hello,
I've just bought the EFIKA MX Smartbook, and I've done a little bit of reading on the forums and support page about updating u-boot. I've downloaded the update image and written it to an SD card, but when I put the card into the Smartbook and power it on, it turns itself off after a few seconds. I'm not sure what I've done wrong here.
Also, I am interested in trying other operating systems on the Smartbook, since the pre-installed Ubuntu is somewhat slow. What is the easiest way of testing/installing a new operating system? I've tried writing an image to the SD card, but it will not boot.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:20 pm 

If you just bought the smartbook the firmware should already be at the most recent level. its probably shutting down because there is nothing to update.

Which SD card image were you trying to boot BTW?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:40 pm 

I was using efikamx-updater.img from this page: http://www.powerdeveloper.org/platforms/efikamx/linux
I've switched from GNOME to Xfce4, though, and the device seems quite a bit faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:20 pm 

The updater image is just for updating the u-boot on the device. which as I said is not likely to be needed for something you just got in the mail a day or two ago. It did indeed boot if the unit switched itself back off (the firmware updater does not start up the screen and only uses the power or capslock LED to communicate)

The maverick image on that page (the one above the updater) should boot up but you should already get all updates from the ubuntu and genesi package repositories anyway so that probably won't be of much use unless you want to re-install the system to the internal SSD for some reason.