All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Mayson MTL017
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:21 am 

Hello !

I am new to the board and have found already valuable information on this site.

I am wondering, if there is any information on the IPU of the efika mx board. The mxcfb_mtl017 kernel module setups a number of registers of MTL017, in order to set timing parameter of the lvds video signal. i want to alter some parameters in order to support other displays.

happy to hear from you!
cheers, julian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:15 pm 
Genesi

Hi.

A good place to start is probably the Linux kernel itself, which you can find here:

https://gitorious.org/efikamx/

Best regards,
Johan

Yep, I have a blog... PurpleAlienPlanet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:55 am 

Hi !

Thank you for your reply !

Sorry for being not that clear in my previous post.

I analysed the kernel-source code, especially the relevant drivers in linux-kernel/drivers/video/mxc/.

The MTL071 is a piece of hardware, that must be configured through i2c to generate the correct signals(LVDS stream) for the specific display panel. This can be seen in mxcfb_mtl017.c.

The driver probes for connected panels by comparing the product name (gathered from edid information) with hardcoded data. When a matching display is found, the driver copies a 256-byte register image (depending on display) via i2c to the mtl017, effectively setting all registers.

Without documentation of the MTL017 hardware, i cannot guess the meaning of each of the 256 register values which i need to modify to support alternative displays.

Does anybode have a hint, where i can get a descripton of the registers in the mtl017 ? Of course i spent about two hours looking for the datasheet on the net.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:17 am 
Genesi

Hi.

I don't think we can help you with documentation on the MTL017; I can't find any specific documentation for it on our internal documentation.
The driver in our source tree was developed by a third party way back then and I don't think we ever modified it.

Will keep looking and ask if anyone else knows more.

Best regards,
Johan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi.

I don't think we can help you with documentation on the MTL017; I can't find any specific documentation for it on our internal documentation.
The driver in our source tree was developed by a third party way back then and I don't think we ever modified it.
We have the docs; but they're absolutely terrible. The hardcoded data uploaded to the chip actually contains several blocks of data which are basically undocumented unless you know the chip - the idea is, Myson will provide you with these based on their panel testing (things like gamma tables etc.)

There's a small, low priority effort to update the driver to be more readable so that the docs aren't needed. But the MX53 doesn't need an LVDS controller so it's only for existing Smartbook support and in that area it's not very useful to anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:46 am 

Hello again !

I could not find another solution to my problem, so i wanted to ask, if i could get all the documentation that is available. How can we get in touch ? Via email ?

kind regards,
Julian

PS: New multimedia codes working great :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:15 am 
Genesi

Hi Julian,
Quote:
Hello again !
I could not find another solution to my problem, so i wanted to ask, if i could get all the documentation that is available. How can we get in touch ? Via email ?
)
The problem is that the documentation we do have is under NDA and can't be shared. We really wish this wasn't the case...

Johan.